• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What mods would you say are the most important or give the most utility to a deuce?

turnkey

Bounce the want to have...Verses the what I can afford.....really changes the game, of what can I buy..Best of luck...Like my M35A2 just as she is, plain.

w3azel

I love my truck and all the mods i have done with her but I will say they are expensive.
#1 Crew cab
#2 Power steering (more confident driving in traffic and around town, one hand for steering one for shifting)
#3 Super Duty pick-up seats (very comfortable to drive)
#4 Lockers and lock out hubs.( Truck is a beast to drive)
#5 14.00 tires. (Better top speed even though tires can't be run over 55 for to long. Much better off-road capability and the just makes the truck look like a monster.)

Non of these mods cost me less then a grand. Some taking a couple grand and unknown amount of hours.

Domodude17

I love my truck and all the mods i have done with her but I will say they are expensive.
#1 Crew cab
#2 Power steering (more confident driving in traffic and around town, one hand for steering one for shifting)
#3 Super Duty pick-up seats (very comfortable to drive)
#4 Lockers and lock out hubs.( Truck is a beast to drive)
#5 14.00 tires. (Better top speed even though tires can't be run over 55 for to long. Much better off-road capability and the just makes the truck look like a monster.)

Non of these mods cost me less then a grand. Some taking a couple grand and unknown amount of hours.
Do you have a thread of the crew cab build or any pictures? I think a bobbed deuce with crew cab would be pretty cool!

@Scottd I thought the front wheels were only powered some of the time? Or does it depend on the year?

Non of these mods cost me less then a grand. Some taking a couple grand and unknown amount of hours.[/QUOTE]

Typically that's the way it is.
My favorite mod cost nothing. One of those free dual mode LED flashlights from Harbor Freight make a great interior light when hung from the soft top frame.

drbarnes

The main problem you would have trying to mate up a ZF 8hp70 would be all the electronics associated with the control of the transmission. The transmission computer needs to communicate electronically with the engine. That and finding a bell housing that would mate them up. I am a tool engineer for Chrysler and actually work on the assembly of the 8 speed transmissions.

I do not have a deuce yet, so I can not add anything to the thread otherwise. But thanks to all who have contributed, I'm making my list

Domodude17

I am a tool engineer for Chrysler and actually work on the assembly of the 8 speed transmissions.
Want to hire me when I graduate? 3rd year mechanical engineering student currently :lol:

I didnt think about the electronically controlled part. Maybe you could just have a little button you push that automatically shifts the tranny? I suppose a better option would be a newer production manual. Just spitballing here.

drbarnes

Want to hire me when I graduate? 3rd year mechanical engineering student currently :lol:

I didnt think about the electronically controlled part. Maybe you could just have a little button you push that automatically shifts the tranny? I suppose a better option would be a newer production manual. Just spitballing here.
I would say a manual transmission would be much easier and you don't have to worry about all the electronics. Dropping in a Cummins 5.9 or 6.7 and transmission combo would be the way to go if that's your plan

I'd say apply online now! Took me a year and a half to get hired at Chrysler.

Domodude17

I would say a manual transmission would be much easier and you don't have to worry about all the electronics.
Now we just need to identify one that would work, which is where you come in! ;) If we could increase the fuel economy I think a lot of people would be happy, and top speed would be nice as well. Maybe one that just has more varied gearing options available? If its geared up higher in the high end, we could use the deuces torque to get more speed/economy instead of relying on taking the engine to higher rpms

Moto2four

Making a Deuce more of a utility vehicle? If the LDT engine is in decent shape its a very good engine, spin on filters certainly help with Maintenance, higher cruising speed? changing engines, changing transmissions, improving fuel economy (WHY they are already very economical) how about changing the gear ratios in the differentials, that would get you more top end how about spending 4 to 5 K on a used oil cleaner? With ALL this said why dont you just buy a nice used pickup and leave the Deuce alone you will be many thousands of $$$$$ ahead and at the end you wont be stuck with a worthless Deuce that nobody wants because its so far from original.
KK
This

dont try to reinvent the wheel. Buy and enjoy it first. They are slow, rough riding, cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Part of the hobby is learning to embrace the suck.

drbarnes

Now we just need to identify one that would work, which is where you come in! ;) If we could increase the fuel economy I think a lot of people would be happy, and top speed would be nice as well. Maybe one that just has more varied gearing options available? If its geared up higher in the high end, we could use the deuces torque to get more speed/economy instead of relying on taking the engine to higher rpms
Let's not what forget what these trucks were designed for. Carrying troops and cargo over almost any terrain. Not for cruising on the highway. They're geared so low for climbing hills and "pulling stumps", and if you change the gearing you lose that.

red

Let's not what forget what these trucks were designed for. Carrying troops and cargo over almost any terrain. Not for cruising on the highway. They're geared so low for climbing hills and "pulling stumps", and if you change the gearing you lose that.
With gearing an auxiliary trans can be added to provide more gearing options.

tim292stro

Let's not what forget what these trucks were designed for... ...They're geared so low for climbing hills and "pulling stumps", and if you change the gearing you lose that.
With gearing an auxiliary trans can be added to provide more gearing options.
You could also look into dual speed differentials - Rockwell makes diff-carriers with planetary reducers for an extra low, if you're lucky you can just drop them in. This way you can set the ring/pinion and tire size for highway speeds in your high gears and you still get another level of low when you want to crawl. You'd also get the benefit of the last reduction being done as close to the wheels as possible reducing the load on the rest of your drive-train (next most expensive step would be to get planetary hub axles).

I also second the idea of a 5.9L Cummins 6BT and perhaps an Allison auto, or another more modern manual transmission that can get you more gears. The 6BT is adaptable to any transmission so the sky is the limit (well actually, space and cost is your practical limit).

...Has anyone thought about the ZF 8HP transmission? I know its in use in 2013+ Ram 1500 trucks, can handle 516 lbs of torque, and is 8 speed... ...There are variants that can handle 750, to 1000 lbs of torque....
I'd encourage you to check that torque input for the engine output in your application and do a full work up of the drive-train ratings (all the manufacturer documents can be found). In the XM1027 Crew Cab CUCV build I'm doing, the 350HP Cummins 6BT I'm building will get me a peak torque of about 1060ft-lbs of torque (@1750RPM). You want to make sure whatever you do with your modifications you won't have to do again due to catastrophic failure (better to spend $500 extra on a more durable transmission than buy two $1200 transmissions), or injure/kill anyone - as a vehicle modifier you take full responsibility for the outcome. Research the input torque ratings of all of your components, and find out what gearing combinations will get you into trouble and where your weak points are, look at duty cycles and vehicle loads in addition to road speeds - it would be good practice if you're trying to get into the automotive engineering world, and if nothing else it would be a good academic exercise :).

For all the modification bashing that goes on for those who wish to keep it stupid simple (KISS), there is something to be said for advancing your parts list about 40 years up for spares availability [thumbzup].

Last edited:

w3azel

This

dont try to reinvent the wheel. Buy and enjoy it first. They are slow, rough riding, cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Part of the hobby is learning to embrace the suck.
I would disagree completely with this statement. It just takes money and commitmet. More commitment then anything else. For money just do what i do and slowly build up the cash. A hundred or two every month into a truck fund and before you know it your truck is coming along. Maybe a big donation here or there and your on your way. I refused to embrace the suck and I am 100x happier with my truck then when it was stock. These trucks are the perfect platform for someone to modify and make their own. Also the top speed issue has been covered so many times. The real limitation comes down to tires. I have 1400s and you can run 70 on them but the tire is rated to 55 and I've gone through two so I don't run them above 55 any more. Granted they were xl s and pretty rough looking to begin with. The goodyears seem to be doing much better for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks