• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What oil are you using in gensets

Steamynachos

Hi guys I just got a nos Mep-026A and was wondering what oil do you guys use in yours for best performance. The tm calls for 30wt or 15-40. I don't want to blow her up on first try.

PeterD

I run 15W-40 in all my diesel engines (Rotella) year round. My generator, in the winter, is in my shop so it doesn't get all that cold, and in the summer around here in NH, it doesn't get all that hot either. (Of course another factor is that I'm not buying a bunch of different oil weights, too.)

ammodude

[thumbzup] Another vote for 15w-40 Rotella, with two diesel trucks, hree diesel tractors and a MEP-003A (I need to get running) it is normally cheaper by the five gallon containers unless you find a good sale.

m139h2otruck

For any diesel, I would use a good 15w-40 diesel oil. For gas engines, I use 10w-30 on the newer aluminum engines and non-det SAE 30 from Tractor Supply for the old iron flat head engines.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every type of oil listed in the previous posts is excellent oil. I don't think the particular brand is nearly as important as making sure it is good oil with the correct specs for the application. Good oil doesn't necessarily mean a higher price either.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every type of oil listed in the previous posts is excellent oil. I don't think the particular brand is nearly as important as making sure it is good oil with the correct specs for the application. Good oil doesn't necessarily mean a higher price either.
I second this. I feel the brand is less important. I try to select a brand name that is on sale. I like Rotella, but I also use Mobil Delvac (another very good oil!), Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, and others. I often get my oil from NAPA and the 5 gallon pails they sell are sold with a NAPA label, but it is made by Valvoline (just ask them if you doubt this). Good stuff. As I said, select a good brand name oil and change your oil often. If anything, I believe more in selecting good brand name filters. I have used FRAM without any problems, but I prefer to use WIX (usually NAPA or Carquest brand).

To answer the original post, I concur with several of the other posts...I use 15W40 in my 5KW diesel genset.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks