• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What oil do you run in a 6.2

jdemaris

According to the Diesel Place test the most lubrious fuel additive is by far 20% Bio Diesel (B20), which I am glad to say is sold around here by Shell, there are SOME benefits to living in hippyland...
I guess much depends on what is available locally, cost per gallon, and how cold the temps are. From all real tests I've read, two-stroke oil easily beats B20 when it comes to cost per tank. But, I have no idea what you pay for B20.

Stanadyne calls for fuel with lube that permits a metal wear scar at no more then 460 microns. That's what #2 diesel was before the low-sulfur stuff took over. Now it can be as high at 600 mircons of wear.

New ultra-low sulfur pump fuel has lube additives put in before you buty, and can allow 300 - 600 microns in that wear scar test.

B20 "biodiesel" is usually tested at 520 microns for wear. Of course, that might vary - since I've only read test reports of a few brands.

B100 - i.e. 100% bio-diesel usually tests at 300 microns of wear.

#2 ultra-low diesel with two stroke oil added at a 1 to 200 ratio - yields fuel that tests at 138 to 438 microns of wear. Cost around $1.50 to treat a 28 gallon fuel tank.

jdemaris

B20 here is about .10c a gal more, and will work in ALL diesel motors, 2 stroke oil added will not be compliant in 2001 and newer engines, and is not as lubrous according to this study:

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Who the heck cares about 2009 and newer engines and what they need to be emissions compliant? We ARE talking about 6.2 diesels, correct? New engines don't have rotary fuel injection pumps to crap out from low lube, but they DO have catalytic converters that suffer from some fuel additives.

In regard to that post at the "Diesel Place" . . . it was put there by me, many times, along with the full list of Stanadyne pumps and specs used on 6.2s and 6.5s. My posts have been reposted, re-re-posted, and re-re-re-posted many times.

Regardless of the genesis of that post - take it for face value. It does NOT state that anything is necessarily more lubrous. It shows cost for lube gains per tank treatment.

If you are paying 10 cents more per gallon, then I assume you pay $2.80 extra for a 28 gallon tank - and get fuel that protects to a max520 micron wear-scar level.

If I buy ultra-low #2 diesel and add $1.50 worth of two-stoke oil, I end up with fuel that protects to a level of 138 to 438 microns of wear-scars. Those lower micron numbers indicate less wear and more protection. Much depends on what that pump fuel measuse at when it leaves the pump.

Pawnshop

So according to the HFRR numbers (lower is better), and your cost per tank factor, we should all be using Opti-lube Summer Blend with an HFRR rating of 447 and a cost of .68c a tank. 2% bio has an HFFR of 221 and an undetermined cost ($2.80~ here for 20% bio), and two stroke oil has a HFFR of 474 with a cost per tank of $1.09. I think I can justify spending a few dollars more per tank to get an HFRR of 221 (or possibly better with B20).

Are there recommended oil additives to replace the lost lubricity there?

Last edited:

86k10

I just use 10-30 winter and 15-40 summer. Only thing you have to remember when looking at the ratings for an oil say SF CD, the S stands for spark ignition and the C is for combustion ignition. But not all oils have a C rating so just make sure it has one if using it in a diesel.