• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What oil to use?

devilman96

The difference in diesel and non diesel is commercial grade and non commercial grade... Not diesel grade and gas grade. Running a C grade oil in a gas motor is fine... Not running a C grade oil in a diesel is not... The additives are not going to hurt anything more often than not they are going to add protection... Most major oil manufactures label brands are all C grade... Unless your looking at some specialty 50W thingo that is designed for diesels specifically... then I would avoid it, otherwise your just using a better oil.

CGarbee

You can run diesel oil in a gas engine as long as it has the appropriate SAE rating for gas engines... Current gas engine rating is "SJ" which can be used in any gas engine that specified a prior rating such as SB, SG, SH, etc.
Note: Rating that begins with "S" is for "spark ignition" ie, gas. Rating that begins with "C" is for "compression ignition" ie, diesel.
Note: Current diesel rating is CH-4 for modern, electronically controlled, low-emission engines but works just fine in the older diesels...

My personal preference is for Castrol Agri-Powermax 15w40 in the diesels (M35A2C and M35A2 with multifuel, M37 with the Cummins 4BT)

JasonS

All of the diesel oils that I have seen are rated for spark (S) or compression (C) ignition engines. There was a recent article in Hot Rod magazine which stated that the diesel oils are better for older engines since they have more of the antiwear additives (ie zinc, etc). I wouldn't use straight weight oils in a turbo engine unless you live in a warm climate.

Jason

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine oils carry multiple ratings, both "S" and "C". So if you look at the jug, you will see it certified for both gas and Deisel service.

ddg

motorolanut

like all the above have spoken, #1 read the labels, #2 know your climate(tempature), #3 stay away from detergent oils in older engines........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks