• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What oil to use?

001CUCV

Sorry of this has been covered before, search didn't bring up anything relating to cucvs for an oil change. Just bought my m1009 a week ago and gonna change the oil. I know it says on the visor of the truck sae 30, but in searching the Internet I found alot of ppl saying 15w 40 for diesels. So what do you guys run? And any certain brands preferred? Thanks, nick

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The majority of use use the Shell Rotella T 15w-40 Diesel oil.

Walmart usually has the best price.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Have you downloaded the FREE technical manuals for the truck? Look in the Tech Manual Forum for the CUCV manuals.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv-tms/77609-tms-cucv.html

The Lube Order will provide all the quanities of fluids required.

Also visit the CUCV Forum and read the Wiki page and the stickies.

Last edited:

001CUCV

Thank you very much, go an go buy some oil now and attempt to change it today. We'll see how it goes. And yes I found the tm's, awesome resource you guys have makes learning about the truck alot eaiser

Skinny

WalMart and Tractor Supply have been cheapest around me unless you catch Napa doing a sale. Napa by me is also running a sale till the end of the month if you buy an air filter, you will get a filter free.

Iceman3005

Get it from tractor supply in the 5 gallon pale for Rotella 15w40, that seems to be the least expensive way. Just bought some for $74.00 for 5 gallons.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get it from tractor supply in the 5 gallon pale for Rotella 15w40, that seems to be the least expensive way. Just bought some for $74.00 for 5 gallons.
Seems kinda high...Bought 7 each 1 gallon containers of Rotella at Wally World for 13.29 each... Just keep an eye open when going through the stores and pounce on the cheapest one and store it at the house until you need it. Also, 1's are ALOT easier to manouever than 5's...

wayne pick

If it's your first ever diesel oil change make sure you fill the oil filter to the top with new oil. Very important to do this to avoid a damaging dry start condition.

seano11

If it's your first ever diesel oil change make sure you fill the oil filter to the top with new oil. Very important to do this to avoid a damaging dry start condition.
I have no clue who told you to do that but if you get caught doing that to a new cummins or cat you will void all your warranty your putting unfiltered oil into your engine

wayne pick

NEW OIL, Like out of the NEW container. I've been servicing diesel engines for 30 yrs and have never heard of that in my life. Granted, New engines have a pre start pressurizing sys so pre filling is not required. Not servicing as per the PM will also void warrantys. Who does that? Give me a friggin break! I love all the self proclaimed experts on here, Thats why I don't post much any more.

Iceman3005

Seems kinda high...Bought 7 each 1 gallon containers of Rotella at Wally World for 13.29 each... Just keep an eye open when going through the stores and pounce on the cheapest one and store it at the house until you need it. Also, 1's are ALOT easier to manouever than 5's...
$74/5=14.80, not much higher than your paying, besides the wal-mart near me it was $18.50 a gallon and performance was 22.50 a gallon. Tractor supply is the cheapest I have been able to find so far.........near me.

BIG_RED

I highly recommend filling the oil filter with oil before installing. CUCV's have no warranty anyways. Also, NAPA oil filters are made by WIX. Fairly priced, good stuff. If you ask them to look up what filter you need they will probably tell you a #1061. I would personally suggest you pay $0.10 more for a #1060, which has an anti-drainback valve that I believe helps decrease the time needed to build oil pressure during a cold start by probably 50% (since the oil stays closer) (this is especially obvious in winter here, when it gets VERY cold). Other than the anti-drainback valve, they are the exact same filter. For $0.10, I figure it can't hurt

Skinny

Shouldn't need an anti drainback valve because it is mounted vertically but always good piece of mind. I will make sure I get the better filter next time.

Not filling a filter is BS, a warm engine with warm oil takes a whopping second to fill. Engines can idle with no oil pressure without being damaged after an oil change. There is enough residual oil film on everything.

If you are buying oil by the 5 gallon pale, you are a freak with too many CUCV's...I like it :)

seano11

I was just passing along info that are shop supervisor had pass down to us from hq with quality control these days I'd rather have the oil filterd before it reached my engine. But hey what do I know I'm just a self proclaimed expert....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks