• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What rolling chassis/donor pickup would be best fit under M37

Jesse19rap

I have a mostly original 63 Dodge m37 that i've been working on. After getting her running, albeit weak, i realized that the engine might be trashed. To my dismay the block turned out to be junk when I pulled the engine out.

I happen to have a 4bt cummins engine and ZF 5 spd transmission sitting around and plan on repowering the old girl. The whole truck is in great shape but i know i will need to make some adjustments to the drivetrain. The axles and brakes are my chief concern. If i try to use the ugly truckling kit and regear the stock axles I will have a ton of money tied up in the vehicle all the while ruining the stock stuff. I see a lot of guys have put Chevy chassis's under the M37 body. I found a 86 k5 Blazer that on the surface seems like it would be a great frame etc to build on. The wheelbase on the M37 is 112" while the blazer is 106", so they are not far off. I would gain disc brakes up front and better gearing along with the option to add power steering without butchering up the stock frame and drivetrain.

Can anyone make any recommendations as to what rolling chassis might be the best fit for this sort of project? I was even wondering if an early 90's dodge that came with a 6bt cummins would offer me the correct motor mounts, at least up front. Any and all information and insights would be much appreciated.

I would also entertain a trade.....my stock m37 for a modified one.

Dodge man

There's a long article somewhere on line about a guy that pulled the body off of his M37 and mounted it on a chassis of a late model Dodge truck with a Cummins engine. IIRC he had to narrow the chassis and also shorten the wheel base. He used the truck axles and I think he had to narrow them down too. By the time that he finished he pretty much had a late model truck with just the body shell from the M37.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is a longtime SS member, very knowledgeable. Go spend all day and reading his site: http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/

You won't regret it, grasshopper.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Keep trying to access the link, think it's down for some reason
I noticed that yesterday, looking for pioneer rack info.

I'll contact him and see what's up.