• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What rubber to replace on truck w/ 2009 refresh?

blutow

I am going through my recently recieved m1123. Doing normal fluids, filters, etc. This truck was refreshed in 2009 and it doesn't appear to have any use since then (32 miles on odometer). I got it from yermo, but I'd be surprised if it sat in the desert all that time. The seats and paint/interior have fading, but I can't imaging they have been sitting out in the sun for 12+ years based on the decent condition. I could be wrong and maybe it was in the desert all those years, I don't know.

I had a leaky injector return line and replaced all of those. I also repalced the hood bumpers which were cracked and very hard. The tires have some cracking on the sidewalls and I just picked up 4 new tires today. I am also replacing the serpentine belt even though there isn't any cracking or hardness that I can see.

I'm debating what other rubber components to replace. I replaced the CDR hose because the boneheads at GP just cut it instead of removing it properly when they removed the CDR valve. But I looked carefully at the hose and it seems to be in good shape. Same deal with all the radiator hoses and fuel lines. Other than having a thick coat of paint on them in places from the generous refurb paint job, I can't find any cracking or hard rubber on the hoses. The hoses are relatively inexpensive and I was leaning toward replacing them all, but I hate to throw good $ and time away if they are good. I'm honestly not sure what the life expectancy of a hose is when it's just been sitting.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to a Marine buddy of mine a few years back.
According to him, they had so many trucks in inventory, that a lot of them really did just sit out in the desert waiting to be used or disposed of.

On my M1123, also 32 original miles, refreshed at 26 miles in 2010, I only needed to replace one of the injector return lines because it was too long and rubbing on the generator, causing a fuel leak.

I had a CV boot fail not long after I started driving it, so it's not a bad idea to order a few of the boot kits to have on hand in case they fail (I've only had 2 fail in the 10k miles since I got the truck)

I also replaced all of the hoses for the Red Dot aircon when I mounted a fender condenser in the truck because Red Dot condenser just takes up way too much space. Hose was relatively inexpensive, as were a lot of the fittings.

Keep the old serpentine belt in the truck if you have space. I had an idler bearing fail a week ago, but stopped driving before it caused my belt major damage. The idler pulley bearings can be replaced so I was alongside the road broken down for only an hour, but if the serpentine belt had gotten messed up my plans for that weekend would have been ruined, as most parts stores won't have it on hand like they do bearings.

below is my opinion on replacing parts that don't appear worn/aged/messed up:

part of how much to replace proactively really depends on how you plan to use it.
Light off roading but primarily on road or near roads, then don't stress it too much.
heavy off roading where it's easier to drive out a broken truck than get parts in to it, or out of cell range, that type of situation, better to be safe than sorry.

blutow

I talked to a Marine buddy of mine a few years back.
According to him, they had so many trucks in inventory, that a lot of them really did just sit out in the desert waiting to be used or disposed of.

On my M1123, also 32 original miles, refreshed at 26 miles in 2010, I only needed to replace one of the injector return lines because it was too long and rubbing on the generator, causing a fuel leak.

I had a CV boot fail not long after I started driving it, so it's not a bad idea to order a few of the boot kits to have on hand in case they fail (I've only had 2 fail in the 10k miles since I got the truck)

I also replaced all of the hoses for the Red Dot aircon when I mounted a fender condenser in the truck because Red Dot condenser just takes up way too much space. Hose was relatively inexpensive, as were a lot of the fittings.

Keep the old serpentine belt in the truck if you have space. I had an idler bearing fail a week ago, but stopped driving before it caused my belt major damage. The idler pulley bearings can be replaced so I was alongside the road broken down for only an hour, but if the serpentine belt had gotten messed up my plans for that weekend would have been ruined, as most parts stores won't have it on hand like they do bearings.

below is my opinion on replacing parts that don't appear worn/aged/messed up:

part of how much to replace proactively really depends on how you plan to use it.
Light off roading but primarily on road or near roads, then don't stress it too much.
heavy off roading where it's easier to drive out a broken truck than get parts in to it, or out of cell range, that type of situation, better to be safe than sorry.
I appreciate the feedback, all makes sense. I decided to skip the hoses for now, it's an easy thing to do later as a quick project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks