• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What should I buy?

skav

I've been looking at buying a military truck, but I've got a lot of questions. I'm leaning towards a van-eiither a 2 1/2 or a 5 ton. I'd like good power and an automatic.

The main use would be to pull my toy hauler to the desert. Gross weight of the loaded toy hauler is 16-17k. The reason for the van is because I could toss the family in the back on the way there.

I'd love any advice or recommendations on what I should be looking for. Also, if anybody knows of something for sale, please let me know.

Sean

BadMastard

Hi Skav,

You're going to need to start digging a bit with google search. Go ahead and look up m109a4 and m934. Get an idea of what they look like.

quick and dirty- the m109a4 is a 2.5 ton cargo box variant with a cat3116 motor and an allison 4 speed transmission. Your top speed is about 52, your pulling power is limited. I have pulled up to 14000 lbs with mine, and anything over 5000 lbs makes hills tough. The boxes are empty metal boxes, build to suit.

The m934 is a 5 ton version of the cargo truck, with a 250 hp motor allison transmission (I think 5 speed, might be 4.). Top speed about 65. Better payload, better towing, lower Mpg. Reportedly about 5-6mpg. It also has an expansionable box (dual side slide outs) Again, build to suit.

Neither will pull a civilian trailer without some modification. You will need to put in a tow hitch, 12v electrical system, electric brake controller, custom hook up for brake controller, and a whole slew of other gear to make it work.

If your heart is dead set on a military tow rig, I suggest you get M920 tractor truck and put a small box on it. Or keep it 5th wheel (to match the trailer?) better power, better towing. Still going to need modifications to tow with, but probably better rig for a 16k trailer.

Check them out. Go to oshkosh equipment to see some on sale. Good luck.

skav

Hi Skav,

You're going to need to start digging a bit with google search. Go ahead and look up m109a4 and m934. Get an idea of what they look like.

quick and dirty- the m109a4 is a 2.5 ton cargo box variant with a cat3116 motor and an allison 4 speed transmission. Your top speed is about 52, your pulling power is limited. I have pulled up to 14000 lbs with mine, and anything over 5000 lbs makes hills tough. The boxes are empty metal boxes, build to suit.

The m934 is a 5 ton version of the cargo truck, with a 250 hp motor allison transmission (I think 5 speed, might be 4.). Top speed about 65. Better payload, better towing, lower Mpg. Reportedly about 5-6mpg. It also has an expansionable box (dual side slide outs) Again, build to suit.

Neither will pull a civilian trailer without some modification. You will need to put in a tow hitch, 12v electrical system, electric brake controller, custom hook up for brake controller, and a whole slew of other gear to make it work.

If your heart is dead set on a military tow rig, I suggest you get M920 tractor truck and put a small box on it. Or keep it 5th wheel (to match the trailer?) better power, better towing. Still going to need modifications to tow with, but probably better rig for a 16k trailer.

Check them out. Go to oshkosh equipment to see some on sale. Good luck.
Thanks for the help. I'll check out oshkosh. I'll also look into the 920. Is it possible to convert the electrical to 12v?

The trailer is a bumper pull 34' toy hauler.

I thought that they did better towing that what you are describing. Is it just that they are under powered?

My current tow pig is an f350 and it pulls great, but a military rig would be very cool IMO.

skav

So I checked out the 916 and 920. It looks like the difference is a third set it duals. Both have the same trans and power. Sounds like it would cruise! Could a van box be install on the back?

Also, are they all wheel drive? I really want an all wheel drive.

mcmullag

ear protection required

...since you asked.... if possible, meet up with somebody that has a military vehicle and go for a ride. You may be amazed how different the 2.5 ton and 5 ton are compared to civy trucks. I feel like I am driving a large farm tractor on the street when I drive my duece around town. It is slow, noisy, lots of shifting. It takes me twice as long to get somewhere as it does in my daily driver. They look cool but they ain't no vehicle I would subject my family to for a trip, except in a parade. I vote that ya stick with a crew cab 1 ton pickup or a larger civy truck if ya need it. ( there was another post started about this family toy hauler stuff a few months ago) 2cents
best of luck on your journey

jaymcb

There's no way am M109a4 could pull 16-17k regularly. Mine has just 1,000 miles on it, and the idea of doubling my curb weight is out of the question if you wanted it to move.

In fairness, I may have a slightly restricted fuel filter which may be limiting power, but I plan to discover if that is the case this weekend. Simple math, 170HP and 400-ish ft-lb of torque isn't going to be happy long term with a total weight of 15+ tons.

Also, the M109a4 is good for about 8 MPG on an easy ride (50MPH). 50MPH is right against the 2700RPM redline of the 3116

skav

They are both 6 wheel drive. Not to nit pick but that is different than all wheel drive just like 4WD and AWD are not the same.
Sorry. I was posting late last night. I am looking for 4wd w a transfer case. I want to run in 2hi on the road, then 4wd Offroad as needed.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you are looking to throw the family in the back and travel, you might want to look at the laws on that, do not believe you can WITHOUT a walk though from the cab, people can not be HAULED in a CARGO box, note this DOES NOT apply to ILLEGALS

skav

If you are looking to throw the family in the back and travel, you might want to look at the laws on that, do not believe you can WITHOUT a walk though from the cab, people can not be HAULED in a CARGO box, note this DOES NOT apply to ILLEGALS
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check into it. It would be cool to make it a walk through:).

Are there any places in SoCal that I could go to check MVs out?

What are the laws like in Kalifornia as far as registering and driving a military vehicle?

BadMastard

The 920 is designed for solid towing, so it's a bit more gearing, but way better steering. (I had to rhyme). You can put a box on anything, with enough time and materials, maybe a little patience. All the older series trucks ARE going to be uncomfortable for long trips unless you start changing out cab seats, add sound proofing, etc. The 920 I'm told is better than the m109a4 or the 934.

Yep, 6 wheel drive, except the 920 is 6 wheel drive with the helper axle not. Do I detect a Sand Dweller? If so, I'd recommend super singles on your rig. Even without, you'd find the military rigs WAY better in the sand than the 350. I have pulled out 350's with horse trailers and the horses still in it with my m35a3 (m109a4 setup, no box) and the sand was no issue.

Lastly, you're going to need to be a mechanical type, or own a mechanic. They will need work, almost without fail. Something to consider. The cost is much less than the commercial rigs, even with mechanical breakdowns. At least in my experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks