• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What should I buy?

engineer233

I have a deuce and a M923. Hands down I love the deuce . My 923 is a automatic that makes it nice and three can ride up front. The bed on it is just so high it's just easier to ride others in the deuce. It don't use as much fuel either. I m not putting the 5 ton down , I like both my trucks . The 923 at this point has been alot more maintenance than play. The deuce is more reliable.

91W350

I agree..... find somebody to give you a ride.

You could turn off your current heating system or set it on low, have a shop govern your truck sown to 52 mph and then program the fueling to give you around 160 horsepower. Next you could go get a set of military tires and compress your suspension for a firmer ride... Now head for the mountains! Driving 50 in a loud truck is not for most folks..... not to mention the ride. I like Cookiemann's description.... when it rains or snows outside it does inside too.

You really cannot appreciate how rough and plain these trucks really are until you spend a few hours in one. I drive a deuce daily, but only my dogs ever want to go with me.....

Last edited:

skav

Is there a good place to see the different models/configurations with descriptions and specs?

I'm in SoCal and I've heard about the 100dallorman. Is it worth a trip to see him?

skav

The 920 is designed for solid towing, so it's a bit more gearing, but way better steering. (I had to rhyme). You can put a box on anything, with enough time and materials, maybe a little patience. All the older series trucks ARE going to be uncomfortable for long trips unless you start changing out cab seats, add sound proofing, etc. The 920 I'm told is better than the m109a4 or the 934.

Yep, 6 wheel drive, except the 920 is 6 wheel drive with the helper axle not. Do I detect a Sand Dweller? If so, I'd recommend super singles on your rig.
We spend a lot of time in the desert in winter and spring. Not so much glamis, but in the mojave. We normally try to stay away from the crowds, which means we go further into the sticks. IMO, it's better riding anyway.

I was planning to swap super singles. Maybe XLs. What the largest tire that will clear?

Even without, you'd find the military rigs WAY better in the sand than the 350. I have pulled out 350's with horse trailers and the horses still in it with my m35a3 (m109a4 setup, no box) and the sand was no issue.

Lastly, you're going to need to be a mechanical type, or own a mechanic. They will need work, almost without fail. Something to consider. The cost is much less than the commercial rigs, even with mechanical breakdowns. At least in my experience.

Last edited:

cabalaro

20141121_085450.jpgthe duce will pull 23k on flat ground, beware if you need to stop in an emergency you can forget it in the mountains. I have a 934 which i am converting to a camper ie motorhome windload make it slow getting to speed no clue what a 18k load will do. Have not hooked the dozer behind it yet to find out

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully he found a truck in the last three years. Would have been nice if he would have posted a follow up.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 545113the duce will pull 23k on flat ground, beware if you need to stop in an emergency you can forget it in the mountains. I have a 934 which i am converting to a camper ie motorhome windload make it slow getting to speed no clue what a 18k load will do. Have not hooked the dozer behind it yet to find out
I can tell you the answer to what a load will do -

I drove an M934 from Nellis AFB to Phoenix, with another 5ton behind it on towbars.

Uphill, with foot on the floor, was single digits.

Level ground would cruise at 60ish no problem.

Braking, even downhill, was no problem (I had airlines between the vehicles so all brakes were live).

98G

Last edited:

cabalaro

I can tell you the answer to what a load will do -

I drove an M934 from Nellis AFB to Phoenix, with another 5ton behind it on towbars.

Uphill, with foot on the floor, was single digits.

Level ground would cruise at 60ish no problem.

Braking, even downhill, was no problem (I had airlines between the vehicles so all brakes were live).

98G
Which tires and engine setup

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks