• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what should i do. drive or haul it.

paulfarber

I think $3-5 is still a realistic rate.. diesel is up. I won't pay that, but that's what they 'offered'.

I had a 23,000lb Genie boom delivered from H-burg to front door for $180. They are going to get a call :)

Crappy part is that the EUC and the 10 day window really limits your choice of haulers.. can't tell them when till I know... and at most I have 10 days to get the right truck, going the right way, for the right price.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I agree that 4-5 bucks a mile is high....the hotshot guy that delivered my first deuce back hauled it for about 2 bucks a mile but he had delivered a load near Fort Jackson where it was located. He did not have to deadhead very far to pick it up.

Since it is a private sale maybe you could meet the guy half way and take delivery....if he has concerns about driving it to meet you I would take that as a red flag.

One big issue this time of year is the weather.....deuces do not have heated mirrors or much in the way of defrosters..trucks equipped with heaters will not keep you very warm in sub zero weather. Without a winter front the engine will not get warm enough to generate a decent amount of heat. You can put cardboard in front of the radiator but if it gets wet it will disslove and get pushed into the radiator vanes.

If you feel confident in your abilities feel free to make it a grand adventure but remember that Mr. Murphy is always lurking around looking for targets of opportunity.

Also take a survival kit with you with whatever emergency items you may need.

PaulbusMax

Toss some extra food in the cab, the regular "i'm stranded in the bitter cold of nowhere" emergency supplies and go for it. Make some memories! Don't forget lots of photos!

roscoe

As others have stated - if you decide to drive it be prepared and you will have a much nicer trip. Read the recovery threads so you know what to look for and what to bring. Use your common sense. If your used to old trucks or tractors with manual shift and no power steering you will do fine. It can be a great opportunity to really get a feel for your truck. Have it towed if you don't like adversity.[thumbzup]

Maverick1701

you should hook up w/someone in SS and drive their truck then fly up and drive it home...its super fun!!!

I drove mine back from salt lake city, UT to the tx panhandle....Im so glad I didnt ship it.

zout

Wreckerman's rule of thumb is if its cold - just clear out the passenger seat and get a small bon fire started - magnesium works great in a confined area.

zout

I didn't want to fry the member to a crisp - heck my mittens are still tied to my sleeves - I just don;t get that cold.

I remember a place I hauled Iso Butane for out of Nothern Canada and had to go to a place called the "Dome" in Port Huron to load.

We had the trucks running 24/7 and heat was NOT and option - you wore your Carhart insulated overhauls with 2 layers of longjohns on - Mickey Mouse boots - artic gloves and and ice scrapper for the windshield. Only way they would down a tractor is if something mechanical broke - and hope you had nothing to do with it. When you came back in from unloading at the plant - next driver was there waiting - check your oil with the engine running - yes the sticks were marked with operating engine. (it was called Liquid Transport for non believers) (Aero was our competitor)

Can you say colder than a witch's brew ha - that is why I have no nipples - dropped off a long time ago.

If you have to ask the question - let someone haul it for a reasonable price and learn about it before ya hit the road with joe public.

And yes WM - Yankess tell long stories:beer:

rz14rt

A lot of great advice in this thread. Here is the perspective of a new guy who picked up his first two this fall. First, I don't think either decision is wrong but you have to be willing to do the preparation for a recovery. That said you have people near you and along your route to help. I went with a current deuce owner who had spent time in the motorpool with these trucks. One truck had brake issues that could not be repaired on site and was towed. Use the resources on this site, I am amazed how good they are and how helpful the members are.
Drive a truck near you in the cold before you make your decision. Promise youself you will not let the desire to get home cause you to take unreasonable risks and set aside extra time for contingencies. Oh and get some rainX as the poor defroster mentioned in this thread will be an issue.

FM5332FF

I bought a M1028 (1st MV) In Portsmouth VA and drove it home to Ft Myers FL. Then my M109A3 (2nd MV) I drove home from Warner Robbins GA. My most recent M813A1 I had shipped because I had too much stuff going on at the time. But I still drove it home from Petes place about 100 mi away. The M813A1 Has been the most relaxing recovery, pete had it ready to go prettymuch when I got to his place. If you do go pick it up just make sure you find out which SS Members live along the route home, that way if anything does go wrong you will have someone to give you a hand. 2cents

Alredneck

Banned
Drive it if you like adventure and the thrill of the unknown!

Ship it if you like being comfortable and dont like worrying about lil things you can seem to put a finger on!

goodguyzy

Ive recovered 4 trucks, driven every one, three 8 hours one 5 hours. I had a chase vehicle and tools with me on every trip. The first one i recovered was the first time i had ever drove a A2. You only live once, go for it!

Heavysteven

For me the cost and risk of a first time recovery was not with it. Have the truck shipped to your home/shop and then take your time going through it. Remember there is cost either way ie lost time at work, fuel, fuilds, food, tools, and risk (no brakes + 13,400= bad day).

I have read a story about a member who recovered a deuce lost his brakes and drove it to the scraper the next day.

Good luck what ever you decide.

USArmyMedic07

I recovered mine from Barstow, CA. I had owned one deuce before and driven them a few times in the Army, as well as LMTV's, tracks and what have you. When I sold my first deuce, I took the new owner around the block in it, showed him the controls, let him take me on a 5 mile ride through town and then sent him on his way. He drove it 400 miles to his home in Northern, CA. He ran out of fuel, but other than that, he did fine. I say, have somebody teach you the controls, look the truck over well, take every tool you have, extra fluids and be ready for the unexpected. Drive that puppy and see what happens.