• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What should my fuel consumption be on a mep005 @ full load

Philratcliffe

I’m at 55% load currently and burning 1.7 gal per hour.
I did a search for the 005 fuel consumption but couldn’t find it.
I think I read a while back it should be between 1.7-2.3 GPH. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any info

Philratcliffe

My 805B is rated at 2.6GPH at rated load, so your readings sound about correct or maybe even a little conservative.
Is rated load 100% or 133%. ? So if 100% is rated load does 2.3 seem about right at 133%?

I run mine 24/365. I have four of them. One burns 1.7 @ 52% load. Another burns considerable more.

can adjust the flow of the individual injectors? Want them as fuel efficient as possible Thanks for the info

MrShawn305

Is rated load 100% or 133%. ? So if 100% is rated load does 2.3 seem about right at 133%?

I run mine 24/365. I have four of them. One burns 1.7 @ 52% load. Another burns considerable more.

can adjust the flow of the individual injectors? Want them as fuel efficient as possible Thanks for the info
If one burns more, I would check the fuel and air system. Make sure the fuel filters are kept up with, air filters aren't plugged and all that. You may have dirty or leaky injectors on the one that uses more fuel. You could have the pump and injectors tested at a reputable injection shop. What do you use them for that they run all the time?

Philratcliffe

If one burns more, I would check the fuel and air system. Make sure the fuel filters are kept up with, air filters aren't plugged and all that. You may have dirty or leaky injectors on the one that uses more fuel. You could have the pump and injectors tested at a reputable injection shop. What do you use them for that they run all the time?
They are well maintained so all the filters are in great shape. The one that uses more fuel is one of two rebuilt engines I bought and shipped down with my 4 005s. One I bought for 500 bucks had a stuck end had water in one hole. I’m sleeving it and bought a used standard piston and rod and rings gaskets etc
Each Rebuilt engine had a dyno sheet and they made 63hp but are supposed to make 53. So I think it’s getting to much fuel. I will buy an Injector tester and do them my self I have a full time mechanic that oversees the genserators daily. I just want to adjust the injectors to flow less. I will make the adjustments in small increments and monitor the fuel burn.
of the 4 one is dedicated to running my 600gph rowpu which I hope to get up and running in a month or so. The other three are for my hotel, I have a large hotel on an island near cartagena colombia
I bought them all cheap 500, 1300, 1400 & 2000 for one just rebuilt by the military that came with the rowpu. With the two spare engines I shouldn’t need a generator for 15-20 years I have 3. 002s with over 25k hours on them. One I just threw rings in and honed the cylinders. It didn’t need bearing or oversized pistons even at 23k hours lol.
Just want to fine tune them to be as fuel efficient as possible. We do everything here on the island except rewind electric motors and stators etc. But after a few more imfrastructure projects are done I want to start rewinding our own electric motors here too

MrShawn305

Check the injection timing. If the timing is off it will cause high fuel consumption. Diesels meter fuel according to RPM and load. The gov only injects the amount of fuel needed to maintain RPM under a given load. If the pump timing is off, that could affect it.

Guyfang

Staff member
"Checking the timing" is a bit more complicated then a car. Suggest you read the book, and at least 3 times before you attempt this. There are also several things in the IP that might affect fuel consumption. Suggest having the pump check by professionals, as you may not have a IP test stand.

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM5-6115-465-12 indicates fuel consumption is 1 gallon per hour per 10kW of load. Based upon over 60 running hours of my MEP-005a during this current Texas crisis, I'd say this is darn close. I was loaded anywhere from 10kW to 18kW and my average consumption was 1.4 to 1.8 gallons per hour.

1613657995494.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks