• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What size press for a deuce?

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are rebuilding the rear end of the deuce and have come across the third/top member gear shaft that the tm says needs to be put on a press to push out the shaft. My question is, how much force does that require and is there anything else I need a press for on the deuce? I'm considering picking up a hydraulic press from NorthernTool but don't know what size will cover all the needs for the deuce. 5-ton, 10-ton, 20-ton? Any advice you can give a noobie?

Anticipated Thanks,
Rob

misupratwin

Sorry i can not speak from experience on a deuce, But in my auto repair shop i use a 30 ton , the bed size is the real problem, parts can be awkward . I have found on light cars and trucks i could use a bigger 50 ton press for the bed size. Tim

SMOKEWAGON66

Just beat it out with a BFH...works for me :whistle:

(totally kidding of course)

Go with a 20 ton Id say...that should cover the few parts that require a press.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Someone posted a thread on installing lockers. They went into great detail about the rockwell pigs. I would try to find that thread and see what size they used.

As always, go bigger than you think you need!

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So for those who come after, a 20 ton press is NOT sufficient to press in the helical gear of the third member. It can press it out but not in. We took it to a few shops, all with 20 ton presses and theirs couldn't do it either. Also FWIW, the harbor freight press is total junk and permanently bent the first time we used it in pressing out the gear. It was scarily bending to the point we thought parts might go flying and we weren't even maxing it out. We ended up taking it to a John Deere shop with a 40 or 50 ton press that worked just fine.

Jas0n

Sometimes it helps to put a part in the freezer overnight before you try to press it in... Also leave the other half out in the sun if it's a hot day.

JFS

Yep, put the inside part in the freezer, the outside part in the oven, no more than 200F or you risk affecting the temper. Dont take your time combining them :) . You will be surprised how easy it slides on, that is until the temperature differential disappears.