• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what size tires and what brand do you guys run

a68cudas

what size tires are stock size for M1009? what size should you run see where some run 33s some run 35s? what speeds can you gain on each? what size width do you guys run? and what is the rim size on the M1009? what brand do you guys prefer?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock M1009 tires are 31x10.50-15 (or R15 for the purists when referring to a radial).

Unmodified, you can run up to 33x12.50 if your springs don't sag too much. Over that size requires some modification (lift and/or fender trim).

My personal experience with that size aggressive tread tires (BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2) was that every other lug, the wider ones, rubbed on about 1/8" of the inner rear portion of the right front fender during the right conditions in a turn. I trimmed a bit of fender lip off with a Dremel, no more rub. I think a slightly less knobby tread would not have rubbed.

With the 12.50s my speedometer reads approximately 1mph low at 25, 2 mph low at 35, 3mph low at 45, 4mph low at 65-75. (GPS measured, rounded off).

For those who will now jump in about tire sizes for M1008s, etc., he did ask specifically about M1009s. :p

Cheers

Attachments

REGULATOR

I went with the 31x10.50-15 from walmart, the goodyear wrangler authority,

figured it would be close to stock, and would look and be more aggressive then just a regular truck tire.

haven't been offroadign in it yet, but they look great, and seem to be holdign up to my 16 yr old driving the truck alright.

little bit more noise but hard to say because the 4 at's that were on the truck when I brought it were practically bald...

they were pretty cheap price wise too

Wolf.Dose

31-10.50R15 or 33-10.50R15 or 33-12.5 R15, at least LR C, work fine on a M1009. But you must balance them on regular bases. And you must care for the tire presssure. The Army says minimum is 2.9 bar (42 psi). My experiance over 200,000 miles is better to use 3.5 bar (50 psi). It extends lifetime to a set of tires to over 70,000 miles.
My experiance with some Korean or Chineese tires, which are the cheapest on the marked, have not been the very best. Uneven wear which mostly can not be rebalanced. So this means the tires had been scrap with half the rubber left.
Wolf

acesneights1

Can never go wrong with BF All terrains. I have them on my 1008. I love them. Unfortunately they are discontinued in my size which really really sucks but in 15" no problem.

CDN-CUCV

Can never go wrong with BF All terrains. I have them on my 1008. I love them. Unfortunately they are discontinued in my size which really really sucks but in 15" no problem.
I have to say BFG All-Terrains too. I run 33 x 12.5r x 15's. On my second set now and I do alot of driving on logging mains and highway driving. Best quality for the price and quiet on the road. Air down well too and excellent in the snow.

a68cudas

Thanks guys i have used and like the BF all terrains i have never had probs with them there a good tire. If i go with 35 what size lift do i need for clearance and will you still have to cut fender? i dont mind doing a lift but i really dont want to cut fender up to fit a tire on so dont rub. if you lift can you use the longer spring shackles?

I run a 37 Hummer tire on the rear of 2 out of the 3 of my CUCV's (all trucks and have the 4.56 gears) and run a BFG Mud terrain in the front that is in the area of 33-34 inches tall.

From the calculator at the link below you can see that this gives me a lot better road speed than the stock tire diameter all the way around.

I keep one to use as a plow truck and I run a taller than stock tire on it but at least its a matched set of 4 so I don’t tear up my differentials and or transfer case.

Here is a handy calculator you can use to tell what the tire size will do for your road speed and or engine RPM.

Engine RPM Calculator
http://www.free-online-calculator.c...ine_rpm_calculator/engine_rpm_calculator.shtm

Road Speed Calculator
http://www.free-online-calculator.c..._speed_calculator/road_speed_calculator.shtml

If HTML was on this would show on the page and in my understanding you could put the data into it and get your answer on this same thread.

<form action="http://www.bgsoflex.com/cgi-bin/rpmmph" target="_blank"><input type="hidden" name="mode" value="Engine_RPM"> <input type="hidden" name="rpm" maxlength="5" value=""><strong>Engine RPM Calculator</strong><br> <br><input name="gear" size="5" maxlength="5" value=""> Final Gear Ratio<br><input name="xmisn" size="5" maxlength="5" value=""> Transmission Gearing Ratio<br><input name="tdiam" size="5" maxlength="5" value=""> Tire Diameter in Inches<br><input name="mph" size="5" maxlength="5" value=""> Vehicle Road Speed<br><input type="submit" value="Calculate" > <br><small><br><a href="Free Online Calculators -- Free Calculators For Your Web Site Or Blog" target="_blank">Free Online Calculators</a></small></form>

<form action="http://www.bgsoflex.com/cgi-bin/rpmmph" target="_blank"><input type="hidden" name="mph" size="5" maxlength="5" value=""> <input type="hidden" name="mode" value="Vehicle_MPH"><strong>Road Speed Calculator</strong><br><em>(at a certain engine RPM)</em><br> <br><input name="gear" size="5" maxlength="5" value=""> Final Gear Ratio<br><input name="xmisn" size="5" maxlength="5" value=""> Transmission Gearing Ratio<br><input name="tdiam" size="5" maxlength="5" value=""> Tire Diameter in Inches<br><input name="rpm" size="5" maxlength="5" value=""> Engine RPM<br><input type="submit" value="Calculate" > <br><small><br><a href="Free Online Calculators -- Free Calculators For Your Web Site Or Blog" target="_blank">Free Online Calculators</a></small></form>

Last edited:
I went with Toyo tires on mine...
285/75/16 10 ply sweetness with a bag of silici in the tire for automatic hole pluging.
I was stranded on the side of the road when I ran over a horse shoe nail.

joeypushjr1

im running 32-11.5-15 on mine BFG MT going to be going 33-12.5 when these are dead. ill all ways use bfg cause in my experience they last the longest. and knock on wood ive never had a blow out with bfgs.