• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What size wrench or socket to take the M1008 rear drive shaft loose

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either should work, but definitely take a wrench. If you rotate the shaft, you can usually get on them at some point underneath with a socket and extension, but take the wrench just in case.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought they were 10mm or 11mm. I remember cussing when I crawled beneath mine with the wrong tools.

1stDeuce

Yeah, it should be 7/16". A med extention and a 3/8" ratchet should do the trick if you can rotate the prop to take bolts off when they're on the bottom... Bring a long wrench in case you can't... They rust up pretty good in the northern states. You'll usually need prybar to get it out of the yoke. I take it you're flat towing it home...

Since it's been brought up a lot lately, be aware that when you yank the prop out of the t-case, it's going to spill some fluid. Please make an effort to catch it, or things will continue to degrade as far as doing minor checks/repairs in the GL lot... If they won't let you work on it in the lot, it's Ok... you can drive or drag it out even with the bent prop, just keep the speeds below 25mph or so... (They usually aren't bent really bad. The worst of my trucks was out about 1", and it didn't vibrate until about 25mph.)
Good luck!

C

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just checked mine, it's definitely 11MM. You could use a 7/16" 6pt socket or 6pt box end wrench but it's loose and you may strip it.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I just took one off. It is 7/16" and a socket might not take them off. Bring a combination wrench, too, and a pry bar to get the U-joint off. Also, when you take the drive shaft out of the transmission it will probably pour tranny fluid out all over. Bring something to catch it in. As a matter of fact, it will probably come out the tailshaft when you take off. Just go ahead and drain the transmission. Military bases are EXTREMELY environmentally conscious and would not look kindly to someone leaking transmission fluid out all over the place.

Thanks alot. I bought mine from a county gov so I hope the GL driveshaft mod has not been done or it has been fixed by now. I will bring a bunch of rags to catch any spill. and I am going to cram a few of them into the transfer case to keep fluid spills down and contaminates out.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would bring the pry bar to get it out of the pinion, but I would probably just tie it up out of the way. Bring some masking tape and tape the caps of the rear u-joint so you don't lose them and then use some #12 copper wire (or equivalent) and tie through the yoke (wrap it around between yoke and u-joint to keep it steady) and tie it forward in a "V" to holes on a frame cross-member or bed floor brace. Just make sure it's being pulled forward and it won't come out while you're towing. It'll keep them very happy if you don't spill anything and never pulling the shaft out of the T-case will pretty much assure that.