• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What temp should the 6.2 run??

I agree with not trusting the temp gauge. I was running through 3 feet of mud, when done getting dirty I went to high ground and was idling while in line for the wash station and temp read 240. I turned it off as I was not sure how long I would be waiting. A minute later fired it back up to pull ahead 50 feet and the temp was back down at 190. I cannot see how the temp would drop that fast.

Just my experience one time. It's something I'll now be keeping track of.

I've been thinking of purchasing or putting together my own digital temp gauge. If I make my own I could log the temp over time in addition to a real time readout with components from spark fun.

Last night my friend and I replaced the glow plugs and injectors and had to burp the calling system after pulling all of that stuff off to make working room. We had all the air out of the system, running for 20 minutes at least as we were checking for leaks in the return lines on the injectors. The temp would hover right about 200. Well I walked away for a minute, came back and temp was reading 240. Turned it off, let it sit 20 seconds, fired it back up and the temp was hovering at 190.

Can't trust the temp gauge...

Aerialfred

My 6.5 gets that way too. I removed the thermostat, flushed the system twice with flush and once with a water hose, and put the stat back in. Still the guage shows 220-240 at times. I checked with an infrared thermometer and the hottest it would show was 178.8 on the thermo housing. It has never boiled over. I think the guage may have a poor ground. Also, the fan turns on and off as it should, but I still wonder if it should be that warm?

On another matter, does anyone know what fluid should be in the transmission? I have heard some say regular transmission fluid and others say oil? Thanks.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have direct reading auto meter gauges in both of my cucv's taking a reading off the water pump. Both read below 180 hear in Colorado. To me it seems like the typical cucv with a good functioning cooling system runs on the cool side. I'm considering changing the tstats over to 160 degree units so I get some more heat. 2cents

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to install a 2 gauge pod next to the diagnostic cannon plug on the bottom of the dash on all my rigs, I've gotten the gauge pods at various auto parts stores or Amazon. I think the oil pressure and water temp gauges make a lot of sense to provide some real world feedback on what the engine is doing.
search for auto meter sport comp 2 gauge panel, I think it's about 60 bucks and worth triple.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks