• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What temp should the 6.2 run??

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have direct reading auto meter gauges in both of my cucv's taking a reading off the water pump. Both read below 180 hear in Colorado. To me it seems like the typical cucv with a good functioning cooling system runs on the cool side. I'm considering changing the tstats over to 160 degree units so I get some more heat. 2cents
not sure why everyone is trying to cool down a Diesel engine, please remember how they work, these are not gas engines.
you need fuel, air, heat and pressure....thus the heat makes for efficient combustion. It's not healthy for the engines to not reach operating temp. In the case of the 6.2, 6.5NA and 6.5TD, it's 195-210.
the Tstat on the 6.2 and 6.5 is 180 deg...

another disturbing trend Im seeing is the amount of work people are doing on the cooling system because of gauge readings...I cannot say it any clearer, check the temps with a laser or thermometer. These gauges are way off.
i cannot tell you the number of calls per week in the shop I get...and even after telling them to spend 20.00 at harbor freight for this tool, they end up replacing half the cooling system and 3 days of work or more....then and only then do they find that the temp is actually about 185-205.

2w091

Does the 195-210 go for the 6.5 as well? Mine runs 210-220ish, the aux fan kicks on and off quite a bit.
I think at one time my thermostat was stuck open, it wouldn't run more than 180, but the problem seems to have stopped.

Last edited:

RustyM923

235 indicated. 195 to 205 actual (depends where I laser measure). If your fan is kicking on and off regularly, you're probably in good shape

Aerialfred

not sure why everyone is trying to cool down a Diesel engine, please remember how they work, these are not gas engines.
you need fuel, air, heat and pressure....thus the heat makes for efficient combustion. It's not healthy for the engines to not reach operating temp. In the case of the 6.2, 6.5NA and 6.5TD, it's 195-210.
the Tstat on the 6.2 and 6.5 is 180 deg...

another disturbing trend Im seeing is the amount of work people are doing on the cooling system because of gauge readings...I cannot say it any clearer, check the temps with a laser or thermometer. These gauges are way off.
i cannot tell you the number of calls per week in the shop I get...and even after telling them to spend 20.00 at harbor freight for this tool, they end up replacing half the cooling system and 3 days of work or more....then and only then do they find that the temp is actually about 185-205.

Got the Harbor tool like you suggested. I checked the temp at the stat housing, radi intake, and all over. Highest readings were 178-180 degrees. Worried for nothing I suppose. I just need to stay cool. Ha!

Thanks!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the Harbor tool like you suggested. I checked the temp at the stat housing, radi intake, and all over. Highest readings were 178-180 degrees. Worried for nothing I suppose. I just need to stay cool. Ha!

Thanks!

right on brotha....at least one confirmed listener...LOL

To be honest, I'd did have another, just not on this forum, he had found the same as you.

Aerialfred

Also figured out after speaking with someone I had the wrong fan on mine. I ordered a reverse rotation fan and installed it on my serpentine setup last week. Now, instead of blowing air out the front, it is pulling air in the way it should.

Mike82ndABN

Thanks!
I ended up getting one of these as a gift, love it, i've been reading temps on radiator hoses, tires/tread, the hubs, and diffs, transmission pan, transfer case. Trying to figure out a baseline temp for each so that maybe one day I can catch a problem early.

Aerialfred

The 6.5 NA came with the serp setup from the military, but had the wrong fan. The system turns clockwise, so I had to put the reverse rotation fan on to get it to pull air through the rad. So is this incorrect Retiredwarhorses?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks