• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What the heck is going on now?

motormayhem

Well I am in the process of hooking up the old filter block to get my water in fuel light back in operation. I also just finished checking fuel flow from the lift pump according to the tm and i doubled the minimum requirement. I am also installing a coolant temp gauge cause I dont trust the idiot light and while I was in there I noticed the rubber fuel line from the lift pump seems to be kinked pretty badly only when the air cleaner is on. I am thinking this might be the problem cause I flow tested it with the air cleaner off so I could get a bottle in there. I cant remember the last time I had the air cleaner off but it wasn't to long ago. I am going to get a new fuel line tomorrow and pressure test the fuel system and take it out for a spin. Also for the flow test I pumped about 1/2 quart of diesel into a container and it didn't have rtv in it so I think that might have been an unrelated freak thing.

Last edited:

12vctd

Hopefully its just a fuel supply issue with that line, and fixing it will restore your power and drivability. A kinked line would cause all the problems you are having, and putting a manual temp gauge is a great addition. good luck

motormayhem

Ok it runs again. The pinched fuel line was the problem for low power, but the filter is still clogging about once a week. Should I keep cleaning it and wait till it is all out or drop the tank and clean it (never done it before, but sounds like a lot of time)?

Here is a pic from 2 miles of driving :shock:

Attachments

Last edited:

motormayhem

It sounds like you had some B100 Bio-Diesel in your tank.
That stuff will tear apart rubber hoses in older diesels at full strength...
It did have wvo in it for a day about a year ago but mixed to 60/50 with diesel. I thought most of the lines were steel and the ones that weren't were black rubber ones.

fireman9

I'd still drop the tank and have a look-see. You shouldn't have all that crud in there. Some diesel fuels have some problems of Algae building in the tanks Here'a a link talking about it ALGAE-X Diesel Fuel Treatments I don't endorce any product over anything else but they cover the cause pretty good in the write-up. I'd also clean or change the sock on the fuel pickup while the tank is out.

12vctd

You need to clean the tank, the hardest part is just removing the straps soak them a few days with Pb blaster or something similar. TRy to make sure you tank is as clase to empty as possible. Also I know everyone has a opinion but that inline filter is not recomended for a diesel aplication, they are notorious for getting air leaks in them. In your pic you can even see a small air bubble.

kentuckycucv

My "guess" would be that somone took the top off of the tank to get to the sending unit in the past and sealed it with rtv....and a chunk ended up in the tank.... glad it all got sucked into your filters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks