• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What the hey? Need a little M1008 help, please.

Chi Gamma Iota

Just picked-up my pickup yesterday and drove her home... a distance of a little less than 50 miles. Kept it under 55, though it seemed to want to go faster. No smoke. Handled great. Problem? Took a little less than half a tank for the trip. Could not find a leak. Oil level is ok, doesn't seem like a quarter-tank of fuel went in the crankcase... searched for a previous post on this, but failed to find one.. manuals don't address this specifically that I saw. If the fuel screw is turned-up too high, or it had the wrong injectors or something, wouldn't it smoke? My first diesel machine and it's just me up here in Beekmantown, NY. And I would very much if someone could point me in the right direction... just kills me the thing could run so smoothly and strong and use so much fuel! Anyway, thanks in advance!

armytruck63

Don't rely on your gas gage to tell you the amount of fuel used. They are notoriously inaccurate in military vehicles, even in the semi-civilian CUCV's. You should get something like 14 MPG cruising empty. M1009's can get 19-20 MPG.

armytruck63

Fill it up again and see how much fuel you put in. Then divide how far you drove by how much fuel you put in and you get your MPG. Use this figure as a ball park of how much fuel you will use in the future.

My 5-ton gets around 5 MPG, so if I have to go 100 miles, I will use 20 gallons. I use 4 MPG when doing my mental math as a cushion. My tank has 75 gallons useable, so I figure I can go around 300 miles on a tank. You of course, will do much better than this.

Chi Gamma Iota

Yup. Wasn't so much that I was checking my mileage, as it was that I was freekin-out over how fast the fuel gauge needle was heading for "E!" Filled the tank tonight. It took over 11 gallons, but now the gauge reads like 1/4 tank above full. It was reading directly on full when I first took the truck home. Anyway, I need to run a mileage test starting from now. Hoping it may be alright, after all. We shall see!

rsh4364

And also remember the speedos are normally off too.Until I got familiar with mine I relied on my GPS for actual miles traveled! If the speedo is off the odometer is off !

scottladdy

All good advice.

You also should not rely on one tank to verify your mileage. The average of several tankfuls will be more accurate.

FWIW, I averaged about 18+ with my M1008 before I added a Gear Vendors overdrive. That is with 33" tires. Haven't checked mileage since I added the overdrive but it "seems" better.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember the first time I saw a GPS in a friends deuce. I thought he didn't know how to get around. Now I use one all the time. Best speedo ever.

MarcusOReallyus

Yup. Wasn't so much that I was checking my mileage, as it was that I was freekin-out over how fast the fuel gauge needle was heading for "E!"
My Jeep did that to me a few months ago. It went from being pretty accurate to acting as if I were getting 3 MPG. It just headed south in a hurry, and the closer it got to E, the faster it wanted to get there. I'd pull in on an "empty" tank and only get 3/4 to half a tank in it.

Now it's wandered back to being almost accurate again. Dunno why, but I think I need to be planning on a new fuel pump and sending unit in the near future.

Don't trust gauges!

gungearz

FYI: on all the chevy trucks I've driven (and still drive as I have a burb)... once you fill the tank up.. the gauge reads full and it sits for a long time on full (about 2 days on a 2 day, 105 mile commute), then it's down hill quick from there...

It's almost like it reads from an upside down triangle....

Every one I've had from the 80's to the late 90's did that... pickups, burbs, blazers, tahoes.... all the same...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks