• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to buy? An M35A2 or a M35A3

HoookerDub01

I have 300 acre's in Texas and 200 in Colarado. I am trying to find a good work truck and play truck. I have been looking at getting a Deuce and a half but which one is the Question. I like how the M35A2 looks and the multi fuel setup in it. But the M35A3 seems to have more power and more options to play with. Do y'all have any suggestion's or preference's? This will be my First Deuce and half to own. But not to work on. I am pior military so i know about the work and upkeep on these trucks. Thank you for your time and look at my Post.

FL_Frank

imo - From a maintenance perspective, while the A2 may require more initially, it's easy to do and generally inexpensive. The more modern, computerized drivetrain of the A3 may be nice, until it breaks, then costs could really get uncomfortable.

I'm all for simple and easy to work on. 'Easy' is not applicable to the brute force that is needed (at least by me) though to work on a deuce however. =)

-Frank

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Folks, please carry this discussion over to one of the threads that Bulldog Mack helpfully posted.

C

HoookerDub01

Thank's FL_Frank for your info on the M35A2. And everybody else for the links. I read over them and got a lot of info from them. I think i am just going to get an M818 5 ton truck and BOB it. They a lot nicer, cleaner, and the size would be perfect for the ranch. Thank's y'all!!

For those interested this is what i have in mind...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVcKJ369sGo&feature=related[/media]

jollyroger

We are always interested. Welcome.

Please keep in mind like BulldogMack posted this question comes up almost weekly by new members to the SS site and then becomes a bone of contention between A2 and A3 owners turning into a non productive shouting match about the merits of the two trucks.......Can't we all just get along?:)........ That's why all the links were provided to you.

Also there is a search button at the top tool bar on the page. It's two buttons to the left of the log out button at the extreme right. You can search for all the info you want on a certain subject including TM's and all the opinions you can stand. Look for the date of the threads you are searching to see if it is current information or an older thread. The date is located at the top left of each post. If it is about things like regulations or titling/licensing it is a good guide but you will need to check with the regulating agencies for the latest news weather and sports about how they will take your money.[thumbzup]

If you are on the ranch like me you can definitely have a 5 ton. If you need to get into tighter spaces in the trees the 2.5 is a physically smaller truck and would shine in that realm.

Sounds like you just want a big bad toy. The 5 ton bobbed with 1400X20's (48 inch tires) or the 16.00X20's (53 inch tires) is what you want. The 5 ton is still a big, semi sized truck so you have licensing and registration requirements accordingly.

Please partake and enjoy the best MV site on the planet and good luck with finding what you want.

Oh yeah. Thanks for already posting a pic so we don't have to give you the obligitorynopics

jollyroger

Keep in mind if you call it a deuce and a half it is a 2.5 ton truck. It could be a WWII CCKW or a 200 series truck or any of the M-35 series, standard, A1, A2, A3. 5 ton is a 5 ton. If you get the 5 ton and bob it it's still a 5 ton.

HoookerDub01

Thanks jollyroger for all the Info!! Ya i think I'm just going to get the 5 Ton for the Ranch. If i run into any problems with trees, I have a chainsaw that'll work out just fine. And the winch on the Truck. Now with it being a 5 ton do you have to have your CDL licences to drive it out in town?

The youtube video i put up. Do you know if those tries are the 48" or 53"?