• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to buy? Looking to get a tractor...

DanzboysM1009

I started into the realm of MVs last year with the purchase of my 1985 M1009 and I love it. Considering that I'm active duty, single (well divorced) and that I have 2 trucks, a utility trailer, and a boat and trailer, getting everything from point A to point B when I PCS can sometimes be a chore. This was evident on my last move when it took two trips, which has brought me to my current situation. I have about 2.5 years before I move again and I want to make my life more simple, therefore, it's time to start looking at a tractor trailer setup to move things around. I've been reading all the different posts and looking on GL to see what's available. To me, considering I want to stay in the 6x6 category, my choices are M931, M818, or M54, is that about right? I don't necessarily need something that large, but I'm thinking for what I want those are my choices. I have read that to get introduced to the larger truck that the best move is to go with a Deuce, correct? However, I'm either over looking it or there is not a Deuce version for hauling fifth wheels, is that correct? Is there a way to get a Deuce and remove the bed and install a fifth wheel? The trailer I pull doesn't have to be a semi sized trailer, I could get a large gooseneck. I decided to ask you all because you're the most knowledgeable on the subject. Any information/ assistance/ guidance you could provide would be appreciated.

LCDR Dan

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
You could get an m275 short wheel base or m48 long wheel base for a deuce tractor. There are some conversion threads on here of cargo trucks to tractors as well.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can put a gooseneck hitch on a deuce but you have to modify the bed.

A SS member, PRICHIE, (I think thats his screen name) had one at the 2010 GA Rally that he used to pull a gooseneck camper with (I had pics but can't find them).

If you have a lot of stuff you might want to consider a M915......they are cheap now and getting a CDL is not the big bugaboo most people imagine.

Fuel milage is not much different with the M915 that with the 5 ton tactical vehicles.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

DanzboysM1009

Well, I appreciate all the comments and I've spent much of the weekend reading and looking and reading somemore. I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent CDL school in the Hampton Roads/ Suffolk/ Chesapeake, VA area. I'm gonna go ahead and start this whole process by getting my CDL, then I can work the truck issue from there. As usual, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

LCDR Dan

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A gooseneck set up on a deuce sounds cool. Even though you dont need a CDL for a deuce I think you need one if your towing over 10,000 pounds anyway so getting one is definetly the way to go.

Well, I appreciate all the comments and I've spent much of the weekend reading and looking and reading somemore. I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent CDL school in the Hampton Roads/ Suffolk/ Chesapeake, VA area. I'm gonna go ahead and start this whole process by getting my CDL, then I can work the truck issue from there. As usual, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Look into the local laws about military and CDLs. Some states make it easier to get a CDL if you are active duty. Just a suggestion.

jeeplvr247

I know you can put a king pin on a M36 to make what is pretty much a light duty M818, I saw one for sale in Florida this spring. I would just get an 818; they are plentiful, require no modification, and are not that much bigger than a deuce.

BigWill1985

I live over in Norfolk, and have a 5 ton M817. I'm working to get my Class B CDL right now. If you want any help or info on getting a CDL in this area shoot me a message. It's not tough at all. You honestly don't even need a school if you have a vehicle to practice on (which I do!). My truck doesn't have air brakes, so I couldn't help you get your air endorsement. But, this truck can be driven for a driving test. I'm just finishing up the last minute touches to get it inspected and fully legal.

Shoot me a PM. I'll give you my number so you can check out my truck to get an idea of what you're getting into!

~MM1/SS Courtier~

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one thing, the M818 has a 50MPH redline and most MV tractors are underpowered so.. pick carefully.

Tlauden

For the occasional use like you are considering I would convert a deuce to a tractor or find a M275. I am also in the process of looking for a tractor, as stated if you use the deuce versions you won't have your air brake endorsement. Due to the air over hydro setup

Hammer

The deuce is an air assist. Which doesn't require the air brake endorsement.
But to pull a trailer with brakes, it does. As all the trailer will be air over hydraulic, which falls under the air brake portion.

Hooty481

I know you said you want to stay with the 6x6 configuration but I would consider a m915a1. All the power in the world and you can put singles on them and they look great. Just my 2 cents.

tcody

Don't forget the fees for license. Some states it isn't a big deal. Others you have to license the bigger trucks as commercial which can be expensive.

Hooty481

I Can't post my pictures from my iPad but I will try to find some links to some pictures. The good think about the m915a1 and super singles is it will cruise at 55 mph and not be wide open. It will also run out at about 70.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have owned three M915's and I love them.

The problem with a tractor is that it is a one trick pony unless you want to drag the trailer everywhere. I like having a cargo truck that I can use for shows and parades in addition to hauling stuff.

Here is a pic of my M927 using a converter dolly to pull the van trailer I take to events. I was 72 feet long which is still legal but the M927 is longer than a standard 900 series 5 ton. Using a standard 5 ton would allow you to pull a longer trailer. I'd get a lowboy for your situation.

The super singles allow a top speed of 65 MPH (fuel milage will suck) but if you cruise at 55-60 you can make decent time and get 5-6 miles to the gallon which is comparable to the M915 (my M927 has the 8.3 Cummins vs the 250).

I have also seen an adaption where you can pull a gooseneck trailer with a cargo truck using the pintle hitch. It was posted on here by a member that used it to haul hay but I can't find the pics.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks