• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what to buy

Sailor77

Well I have a few options here and a few ideas.

There are two locals here

1985, M1008 61K miles, clean body, some dents, looks likes paint brushed green. Good tires, running and driving... very very minmum rust, no brush guard.

1986, M1008 20K miles, body a little rougher, will need rockers, cabs and partial floor board. bad tires, good camo paint. had a 5th wheel in bed at one time...

$3500 for either one If not worth 3500, what are they worth?

What I want to do is set up a plow truck. Run some HMMV 37" tires ona 2" lift and mild fender trimming.

So is either truck worth the asking price and are my goals realistic?

4bogginchevys

i'd buy the 85 and find a brush guard if you want one........my 84 1008 looks like it was painted with a brush too, is this just a few idiotswith less brains than money, or does the military do this? I plan on sanding mine, maybe wet sanding it and clear coating it if it turns out ok. Good luck with your purchase, if it was me i'd stay away from rust unless your best friend owns a body shop!:-D

jimmy-90

Dang when you say Partial floor board do you mean the 86 has a hole or many holes in the floor board and this guy still wants $3500 for it??? The 85 sounds like a much better truck.

Sailor77

the 86 has one hole in the floor board, about the size of a dollar bill by the rocker... I guess I was looking more at the 20K miles vs the 61k miles. I am thinking about offering $2700 for either one... Is that respectable?

jimmy-90

One thing I would definately do before I bought either truck is have him start them up cold and see if either one has to be cranked and cranked and cranked for a long time before it will start. Then let it idle down and TURN THE HEATER ON FULL BLAST with the lights on. let the heater run the whole time. Then look and see if the GEN1 light glows at all. If the one you want starts up good,runs good,has no electrical problems,and will pass the state inspection...if you have those where you live. Then yeah Id say start hammering out a deal. If you are after the one with the rust in the floor board then see if he will come down a lil on the price because of that.

Sailor77

How about my plans for a 2" lift, snow plow and 37" tires? I have read a few issues with attaching snow plows due to frame horns and such, but nothing too bad I think. Is the price right? I was trying to watch some of the auctions and check to see what they are going for. I have seen some in a lot worse shape and some in better, but not sure on prices.

mtjbrown

I bought a '86 M1028, 25K miles showing, no rust, no body damage, no apparent electrical issues for $2200 here in georgia from a used car lot. I drove another that needed tires and rust on the hood, ran good dealer wanted $2600 for it. I would keep looking if I were you. just my $.02.

Mark

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a '86 M1028, 25K miles showing, no rust, no body damage, no apparent electrical issues for $2200 here in georgia from a used car lot. I drove another that needed tires and rust on the hood, ran good dealer wanted $2600 for it. I would keep looking if I were you. just my $.02.

Mark
Being in GA we have alot more MV's getting out of govt service than probably anywhere else in the country. They are alot cheaper in the south east than almost anywhere, especially in the midwest.

mtjbrown

Yeah, it might be worth a trip down to check out a few. I know of a ford dealer in Blue Ridge that has several MVs for sale. They must have bought out an entire auction.

stampy

I bought mine for 1400 on GL. I wouldn't put much more than 2500 in one unless it was pristine and less than 1000 in the ones you described. But thats me....:-D

Scarecrow1

Engines are cheaper than trucks . When any truck starts to rust there is the rust you see and the rust just under the surface of the paint you don't see. It scares me when I think about it . I would go after the 85 but not at that price, that's a little high to me anyway. In these times he will take less l'm sure.