• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to clean after mudding

schimms15

Hi guys newer to my M35a2. I want to use it to get some fire wood in this spring and fall. I have to drive up a hill and before that I need to go through a mud hole. I do have the TM’s and plan on checking my axles fluids. After a few days of going through the mud hole to get wood what should I do to the truck before parking it? What should I look at daily? The water standing in the mud is about 2ft deep so once the truck sinks in I would guess almost 4 feet. What do you guys think?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the TM say the truck needs to be in water over the diffs for at least 8 seconds before water gets into them, needless to say that check is going to be mandatory. KEEP MOVING through the water DONT get stuck and let it bath for hours ro you will obviously be draining everything then. When done clean out/off all the obvious mud from everything, if your just driving through a little deeper puddle it wont be much if your going 4 ft deep for a long drive look closely at the TMs and follow them all. Everybody talks about mud as fun, all I see now that I have been there is a whole lot of work cleaning it all up!!!
KK

schimms15

Thanks. Is it just the diffs I should worry about or do I need to inspect knuckles or boots any where? I have a cj2a and would tell anyone doing the same to Check the kingpins and bendix joints in the steering as well as the diffs.

rtadams89

Plumb the axle vents (at least, but might as well get all the transmission vents, etc. while you are at it) up to the air box and you won't have to worry as much. Check your steering boots before you go through the mud and replace if necessary. That's about all I would worry about.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You'll need to go through the bearings and brakes if you go into water/mud as deep as the hubs at least. Oil in the axles, T-case, trans should be inspected too.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two feet of mud under two feet of water, your most likely going to get stuck, also think your going to be getting uncomfortably close to your intake.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost forgot about the clean up... get a friend to take pictures and or video, then they can help wash the truck afterward!)

Big Tom

Don't forget the bell housing plug. It's stored in a threaded hole next to the drain . Unscrew and move it over reinstall, have fun a make video
Big Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks