• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do with a rusty CUCV...

amy1009

Hello, it's been a while since I've posted. I hope this isn't a stupid post...but I have an issue and I'd just like some other opinions on the matter if possible I don't know that many people would understand this issue so if this isn't the right place I don't know where is...

I have a 1982 CUCV that I've owned for about 5 years. It was a radio repeater truck and I was told by the former owner that it served in Kuwait (you can see it used to be desert tan under the bad camo paint job it currently sports). It has about 75k miles on it, and ran pretty well while I drove for a few years. Then, I just got busy and ran out of places to store vehicles...(and my husband said he was embarrassed to ride in it but that's a whole nother post!) So, I parked it in a barn up north. The polebarn is on a hill and had a sand floor and seemed dry. Fast forward three years later to now and we sold the place up north and had to get the truck out of there, and when we winched it out (no power up there so no way to charge the batteries) I was horrified to see how badly it had rusted underneath. I feel like I let that truck down. But I have way too many projects right now and no time to restore it. - I don't believe it deserves to be scrapped and I'm afraid if I donate it or put it on craigslist cheap that's exactly what's going to happen to it. I know there are so many rusty K5's out there (especially here in Michigan), I'm afraid that is the only fate awaiting my truck... So, my question to you is - are there any other options?
Thank you.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hard to say w/o seeing pics of condition. I gues you know your only options if you don't have time to work on it though.

fitz

Check out some of the threads by Cucvrus. He has saved some rotted out trucks including one that he dragged out of the junkyard.
Does the frame & floors have any rot holes or is it just surface rust?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
84-87 actually but sometimes folks just forget. I have an 84 that FL titled as an 83 because it was a late 83 build. As far as I see it, you have 3-4 options. Sell, scrap, pay someone to restore it or drive the remaining life out of it.

amy1009

Maybe it's an '83 - but it's definitely 1009.

@Fitz - thanks for the note I will check out what he's done. Definitely some holes - the front floors were bad before I parked it, but they definitely got worse.

fitz

I guess the big questions are
- how bad is it?
-can you fix it yourself?
-how good do you need it to be?
Obviously safety comes first. You want to make sure the brake & fuel lines, exhaust, cab mounts & frame are solid. A couple of small holes in the floor can be fixed/patched cheap enough.
To have a body shop/welder install complete floors from the firewall to tailgate could easily cost around $3k or more.
As far as junking it, its worth around $200 at the juckyard. This should be your last resort.
Hopefully a few patches can get it back on the road.

fitz

It is worth more then $200. if you junk it in my neck of the woods. I paid much more for them than that when I find them.
I agree that you could easily part it out or sell it as a project/parts truck for more than $200.
I'm just saying that if you drive/tow it to a junkyard here in Mass its worth about $200.
The price at the yard today was $65 per ton. I'm guessing a M1009 is about 5500lbs, 2.75 tons x $65 per ton gets you $178 over the scale. They junkyard is paying $10 each for batteries. My math is coming out with $198 total.
I personally would easily pay $1000 for a running but rusty M1009.

fitz

Then why didn't you jump right on my Terminus with the snow plow when it was $1200.? :)
If it was in Mass I would have shown up with my truck & trailer and $1000 cash. I'm guessing I would have owned it. The 800 mile round trip to get it in PA was a dealbreaker for me.

alltheway82nd

Amy 1009,
I have seen whole rust free cabs for K 5s on craigslist (that may be an option)I have no way to tell how much the rust out involves. I am also in Michigan(Grand Rapids) and recently purchased a M1009 out of N.C.(I have family there)..so I will be going to get it in the summer (hopefully)as it needs to be made running again as it has been sitting...This being said if the end result is that you consider selling or parting the truck I would be willing to buy some things I know I need and maybe others as spares for the future as I plan to keep it indefinite....Let me know if you decide to do this and I will happy to buy some things for my M 1009. if you decide to fix it up then let me know if you need help finding anything as I am always looking on craigslist ect for parts for mine and I can fwd anything that you are looking for if I see it.....

NovacaineFix

Amy, your too far away for me, but it may be of help for others that are closer, can you post some pics of the extent of the rust and maybe what it has thats good?

I mean for someone, it may be worth a couple hundred bucks or more if it has a good tranny, transfer case, engine or other salvageable parts even if the body is beyond repair.
I'd hate to see a good truck go to the scrapyard before it's time as well, but maybe someone else can bring it or parts of it back to life.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
without a set of photos it will be hard to advise you , all the sheet metal is out there so the parts are not the problem, do you plan to drive it in the snow? I fix my trucks (the ones that need that) then they get oil sprayed every year, I only drive my 1009 all year, what is your skill set for body work, do not play with the patch panels unless your VERY good with a mig and metal work, replace entire panels , your floor and rockers will be the big job, photos please,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks