• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do with Deuces?

civicnar

Well I have lurked around here for a while and not been very vocal but I have a question to ask. A good friend of mine owns a 4x4 shop and is in the final stages of a deal on 9 deuces. I am not sure as to the specifics of which ones they are etc.. but all he wants them for are the axles. He is trying to find the best avenue to liquidate the left overs. If we can get some running and driving I may get me one uber cheap to drive but like I said I am unsure as to the condition. If we can get them to run then he may sell some whole but it is my understanding that they are in non-running condition but that may be a farce. I am just wondering what the best avenue will be for him to liquidate whatever it is that he gets. Oh and by the way he is buying 9 2.5 ton and there are 6 5 ton that he may pick up as well. Just let me know what the best way to approach this would be. Thank you so much guys!

area52

Let me be the first to say.......

nopics

But seriously, he could come up with a list of all the parts/pieces left over and post on here.

I know I need a hardtop and 20,000 lb winch setup.

civicnar

This is the best pic that I have. It is not 100% finalized but he is trying to see what his options are whether to try to get some running or just part out etc... This is the best pic I have. I have never been to them but he sent me this pic. Thanks!

tamangel

I hope these rigs are residue (except for the one you get as a runner). I hate to see possible, restorable units removed and chopped up for a few parts. That being said, I know one can say that more money can be made from a sum of the parts vs the unit complete. Other than the hassle of hauling residue (read wrecked trucks) away from GL, it would be nice if parts needed only came from parts trucks..leaving the rest for restorations and users.. Do people buy the completely wrecked trucks and resell just for parts? Seems like a good way to recycle some and save others....

Just my dos centavos..

Mike

civicnar

I guess that is why he is up in the air about it. From the looks of them, they are in decent condition minus some not having tops or beds etc... But they look to be in fair shape. I would like to go out there and open some hoods etc.. but I just cant do it with work. Are the 5 tons really worth messing with or just stick with the 2.5 ton? Do you all think that these have been used for some civilian purposes? They are all odd colors and I don't see any that are DG. I have no idea as to the history of them etc.. From a novice like me would this be something that he could part out rather easy or are these some of the more non desirable trucks that would be difficult to liquidate. You guys have no idea how much I appreciate you input. Thanks!!!

civicnar

Oh and they are not GL if you haven't determined that already. It is an individual. I don't think he has any idea what they are though so who knows.

civicnar

Are you saying for him to give the truck as a trade for axles?

If he thinks he cant make any money off parts he is going to haul them to a scrap yard and cut the axles out and trade the rest in for scrap money. I just assumed he could maybe get a few running and sell those and sell the parts off the rest and come out ahead and still end up having a few sets of axles for customers and his buggies for next to nothing. I am just wondering if this is a good investment or any potential whatsoever to recover some of his money so that the only thing that he is getting out of all of these are just the axles. I know the pic isn't much but are those a desirable truck to have?

mangus580

thats why I said a partial trade.... give the truck in trade for axles/$$

My point is... there is enough guys around with parts trucks who might want to unload the axles and some cash for a complete possible running truck

civicnar

Oh ok lol. I was hoping that is what you were referring too. I have always liked these big things but never had the opportunity to own one and basically if I can help him with this then he will let me get one dirt cheap. So what are your thoughts on the 5 tons. They are too big for rock crawler axles but are the trucks worth anything? I am sure he can factor those into the deal but I have never seen much of a call for one but like I said I am new to all of this. Is there anything in the pic that stands out good or bad? Thank you sooo much guys!

Michael

Form the pictures, those look like they have been stripped down to be painted and a rebuild started. It would be interesting to know the story behind this and how far the rebuild has been taken.

Five tons are worth about twice as much as 2.5 tons in my opinion.

CGarbee

The worth of the five tons (and for that matter the dueces) depends on what they are and what condition they are in... Cargo, tractor, dump? Gas, Multifuel, Mack, or Cummins engine? ect...

I always have need for parts, including entire spare parts trucks, and I really have a soft spot for running, useful, rigs... But location (ie, how far I have to transport each one) plays a part in the equation as well...

Can you post some photos of what he is getting? How about posting some model numbers and such from the dataplates in the cabs? You may not be able to until he takes possesion, but it would help folks figure out what he is getting (has), and thus how to answer the "what's it worth" questions.

civicnar

That is the bad thing. I can't go out there since it is a good distance from work and cannot take off anytime soon and he can't break away any time soon to look for me. I guess I will just give him the go ahead to buy and once I can get over there to look at them, I will post up exact details as to what they are etc.. Who knows they may all run but the guy didn't want to mess with them and my friend had no way of doing anything when he looked at them. I guess I am just clueless as to what the parts are worth so I will be at your mercy if and when we can get them and part them out. Thank you so much and I will let you know as to any further progress!

civicnar

Ok guys I may can go out there Thursday :D . Is there any specific things that I need to look for as far as what makes one worth more than others etc.... Just from first glance what would be a ball park that one in the pic is worth. i know you cannot be exact but I will be there with him in the negotiations so I am trying to bring as much knowledge to the table as possible. Will a Multifuel be worth more than a gas or a Cummings more than a mack etc.. etc.. I am just shooting in the dark here and want to try to make the best decision since it truly isn't my money.Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Michael

Is it just me or do these look like Memphis Eq trucks? I wonder if they decided to clear out some of their inventory to make room for the flood?

badgmc56

Those trucks don't look in that bad of shape.Of course it's hard to tell without more information but it would seem a shame to cut them up for scrap and axles. I'm sure some of them are restorable. I think trading for axles is a great idea to keep them from the torch and scrap yard.

steelandcanvas

civicnar said:
Well I have lurked around here for a while and not been very vocal but I have a question to ask. A good friend of mine owns a 4x4 shop and is in the final stages of a deal on 9 deuces. I am not sure as to the specifics of which ones they are etc.. but all he wants them for are the axles. He is trying to find the best avenue to liquidate the left overs. If we can get some running and driving I may get me one uber cheap to drive but like I said I am unsure as to the condition. If we can get them to run then he may sell some whole but it is my understanding that they are in non-running condition but that may be a farce. I am just wondering what the best avenue will be for him to liquidate whatever it is that he gets. Oh and by the way he is buying 9 2.5 ton and there are 6 5 ton that he may pick up as well. Just let me know what the best way to approach this would be. Thank you so much guys!
I was just down in Lamar, Colorado today, at Rancher's Supply. He seemed to have pallets of axels in his yard. Owner's name is John Carder. Call him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks