• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do with my new M1008

1StumpJumper

Greetings, newbie here.

So here is my story. I have lurked around SS for quite some time. It is a great site with tons of information. So much so that there was nothing for me to contribute without having a MV. Fast forward and here we are. I recently bought a m1008 at a Ft Lewis/McChord GS sale. When I got it home I got it running & took it for a drive. WOW, these buggars are SLOW. The drive train is solid, runs great (once started), drives fine (other than Death Wobble wich is easily enough remedied). The body is quite rough, no rust, just beat up. The passenger door & roof are the only body panels that do not have a major dent in them.

I bought this truck on the presumption that it did not run. It was intended to be a donor to convert my Suburban to a CUCV clone. I had planned on just using the grille, bumpers & axles then parting out & scrapping the rest (I have already sold a few small parts already). After driving it if I go the CUCV Burban route, I will swap the engine, wiring harness, dash, and items listed above.

My problem is that I hate to kill a CUCV and do not want to spend the time / money on another pickup.

I am aware of the work involved either way. I see the following options:

1. Get parts truck and swap darn near the whole body over.

2. Sell it as it is to someone who wants it as an M1008, not parts.

3. Utilize it for CUCV Burban.

What would you do?

ABN173

Post some pictures and we can give you a better opinion. These things are getting harder to find I just saw a beat up non-runner go for 4k on a Alabama GL truck. Value will go up, I vote to save it.

-Dale

OOO that is ugly. The ugly ones are always so nice under the hood, kinda goes for women too.
First off, welcome. Glad you joined us. Second, save it. Body panels are cheap and a fresh coat of CARC hides a lot of sins. We have brought much worse back to a happy life.

hwcurtice

Save it...

Please...

Then tell inquiring minds (Raises hand) what you need out of it to make you happy.

Getting one of these will make telling a finance company to come and get their truck so much easier... And then I can get a cheapo econo-beater for commuting to work.

southdave

OOO that is ugly. The ugly ones are always so nice under the hood, kinda goes for women too.
First off, welcome. Glad you joined us. Second, save it. Body panels are cheap and a fresh coat of CARC hides a lot of sins. We have brought much worse back to a happy life.
Dittio that here what I started with vise versea

Attachments

Disciple

SAVE IT! Nice little project you've got there. Doghead Relay Mod, new seat, new batteries and starter relay mod, replace all of the hoses and clean clean clean the electrical! You'll have yourself a nice old truck there.

1StumpJumper

WHAT ON EARTH is that monstrosity hanging off the brush guard???
It's about ugly is what it is!! Luckily it just unbolts, I was relieved when I saw it was not welded.

My wife thinks I may not listen too well so let me see if I am getting this straight.

DO NOT PART IT OUT???

I had a feeling I might get that response here. That is why I did not ask it on Pirate.

O.K., I am officialy taking parting it out off the table.

Time to get started on the paperwork.

chevyguy1976

Drive the snot out of it ,beat it like a redheaded step child , then drive it some more. Look at it this way you dont have to worry about scratching the paint or putting a dent in it. A K-30 chevy is hard to kill.

197thhhc

fix it and drive it and if you want more power, these engines respond well to turbochargers. There is probably a kit in the classifieds. The difference is amazing. I have turbo charged a few 6.2s it really wakes them up.

Atwater

give it a fresh coat of 383 and keep a lookout for an nv4500 (early ones are cheaper) and drive it. :driver:
dents are a good thing (it makes the next one easier:D) :gimp2:

1StumpJumper

give it a fresh coat of 383 and keep a lookout for an nv4500 (early ones are cheaper) and drive it. :driver:
dents are a good thing (it makes the next one easier:D) :gimp2:
I have a new 4L80E that I got through GL (yes new in the crate!!) I have been thinking of using it behind a 6BT that I have for a project. It seems like the 08 may just get it instead. I already have a controller for it. Should be pretty straight forward now that I have a trans to tcase adapter with a whole vehicle around it.:D

1StumpJumper

Update

So I figure it is about time for an update on the ol truck. I have done quite a few things to it over the last 2-1/2 years, focusing on reliability repairs and upgrades. In no particular order....

Doghead mod
AC 60's
Glow plug resistor bypass
New glow plug relay
Glow card bypass
New alternator
New belts
New harmonic balancer
New gear reduction starter
New injectors
New injector pump
Spin on Fuel filter
Replaced power distribution stud with marine grade power distribution bar
Headlight relay
New headlights
New batteries
Added brake controller
Added 7 way trailer plug
Installed class V Curt hitch
Added backup lights and a bypass switch
Removed fuel tank & replaced sock
Installed electric fuel pump with switch
Swapped a used set of 09 doors
Installed glove box, dash pad, and brake pedal pad from suburban
New steering stabilizer
Rebuilt king pins
New "stock" height front springs w/ poly bushings
New HD front shackles
Trimmed front fenders
Mounted 37" tires on 16.5" steel rims
Spent many hours chasing electrical Gremlins
Had rear drive shaft straightened (thanks GL)
Installed M101A2 trailer bed
Installed oval LED tail lights

That is about all I can remember right now. I have an ATS turbo set up and an NV4500 that both need rebuilding and installed. Then I need to throw on the 12 bolts, fenders, winch(es), bed hoist, paint, seat, some gauge work, and I just might be about done!

It is now my daily driver. I adhere to my rule that I can't do anything to it that I can not finish in a weekend. That way I can enjoy it every Monday.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks