• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what to do with surplus Beds and Trailers?

HeadWizard

I like the idea of not scrapping the bed when I bob my truck. I've been trying to come up with a practical solution, either finding someone who needs a deuce bed or using it with the cover as a storage area. I think it is most likely too heavy for a usable trailer and definitely overkill for me. I will be watching this thread for more suggestions/ideas.
Just cut down the deuce bed and use it for the bob job. They look better than trailer beds on bobbed trucks anyway.

usmc320

Just cut down the deuce bed and use it for the bob job. They look better than trailer beds on bobbed trucks anyway.

I've thought of that too, but (no offense) I think the wheel wells look way better than the cut down deuce bed. Just personal preference. If I wasn't concerned with looks, I wouldn't be bobbing it in the first place.:lol:

I can use my M105 bows/cover too.

Just out of curiousity, HeadWizard, what size tires are those in your avatar?

3dAngus

why aren't people just shortening the deuce bed? that would be my way of bobbing.

tom
Funny, I always thought they just cut down the deuce bed. Much easier, cheaper, and just as good as the person doing the work. I had it done on my dump truck and you couldn't tell it from factory.

KsM715

Using a M105 bed is much easier than cutting down a deuce bed as long as you get your rear axle placement right to begin with. I too like the 105 bed for using the side racks and cover rather than modifying the bed, the troop seats AND the cargo cover.

3dAngus

Starting to make more sense now. My Ignorance is NOT bliss. This site is....

Thanks. Wheel wells do look good.

Happiness comes in many forms. Enjoy! (Then build me one) LOL

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If anybody has one, I'm looking for a dropside bed within a days deuce commute of ATL. Would prefer a M35A3C but will settle if I have to for an M35A2C bed.

And I don't need one that is gold plated.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Some answers:

The Rockwell axles are "semi-floating" meaning that the hubs are supported by the axle tube not third member or axle shafts, so those things can be removed.

mike, for the sake of education and correctness, the deuce axles, both front and rear are full floating type, not semi, which are used for light duty things like civvy pickups etc.

tom

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I eventually hope to replace my bed just because it's beat up so bad, but instead of scrapping it I may just mount it on some wagon gear. (haywagon frame and axles) That way if I pickup a load of compost I don't have to worry about unloading right away.

samsimpson

Another reason people use the M105 for bob jobs is not just the bed, but also for the springs, hangers and shackles. With a M105 trailer you have everything you need to bob a deuce.

Awesome Possum

I bought an M105 with a very nice bed and all the bows except for one. Canvas too, in need of some light patching. My truck started this as an M109 so I didn't have the bed, and I am completely lack the skills to shorten one. Anyone in Central Texas willing to take the M105 on trade towards a shortened M35a2 or a2c bed? I'm shooting for 10" over standard bobbed length, but the frame hasn't been cut yet so I have some wiggle room.

doskiez

I am in central Texas, but I dont have any parts of a deuce to help you out there. On the other hand if you are ever around Coupland look me up.

michigandon

I just stumbled onto this thread whilst doing some random researching. John Winslow has deuce beds stacked up like cordwood around his AO. I REALLY like AndyC's deuce-bed-on-a-M200a1 combo. In fact, I think I now want a setup exactly like that and put an S280 in it as opposed to my original S788-on-an-m105-running-gear idea. [thumbzup]

paramedic7831

For every two bobbed trucks I build, I put together a trailer.

I "graft" together two M105 frames, mount them on a bogie and add a M35 bed.

When I'm done my "scrap" is some M105 frame channel and two M105 axles.

I also have leftover a M35 bed and a bogie assembly without axels, but there's always someone who needs those items to repair their truck.

So in the end waste can be pretty minimal.

Think how cool this would be if you could rig up a hinge driveshaft to this trailer. I'd call it a super goat!!

Attachments

rogersn67

I would like to say for the record, that I am n need of a deuce bed. I would love to find a dropside if possible. I am in NJ, so say within.... 500 miles of here. I just bought my first Deuce, and it has a rotted out wood bed on it now.

Attachments

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just stumbled onto this thread whilst doing some random researching. John Winslow has deuce beds stacked up like cordwood around his AO. I REALLY like AndyC's deuce-bed-on-a-M200a1 combo. In fact, I think I now want a setup exactly like that and put an S280 in it as opposed to my original S788-on-an-m105-running-gear idea. [thumbzup]
I didn't see anyone with that name in the members list, where's his AO? Is he selling them?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks