• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what to do with this m342a2 dump

ncduece

ok i purchased this m342a2 sight unseen,and wanted some input on what i should do with this truck heres a run down of issues starts right up dump works fine but has blown head gasket spewing oil between the 2 heads? 2 rear springs have been overloaded and bent, both fenders are bondo queens, most all the outside triangle bed braces are rusted out wind shield frames, tailgate missing also needs all seat canvas, list goes on , i was thinking about taking the dump stuff off and putting it on my 1987 m35a2c so here is the dilemma i need a dump truck that works now but i dont want to destroy from what i understand is a rare truck. what are the odds some one would trade a m817 for it? whats it worth after its put back in shape?

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's rare enough and useful enough that it would be a shame to part it out. Please post some pics so we can see what we have to save, what we have to work with....

Here's a M342 restored and looking pretty, to see what they CAN look like. Photos courtesy of Eastern Surplus....

Attachments

Last edited:

zak

Do not part it out. I can count on one hand guys on the board with these trucks. It rare enough that guys will want to take it off you hands for a chance to restore it.

Attachments

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Sell it since that seems to be the way your going by starting the thread , I dont see anyone trading you a M817 for it ,as is, but toss it on the classifieds or egay and start it for what you have into it. nothing to loose, - Jay

P.S. Winslows got a M342 w/w as some of us know ready "restored" for 10K. Maybe that can give you an idea on the value.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really would need to see it in person to give you a real answer. Short of that, as others have stated, I'd need to see detailed pictures of any problem areas and also the truck's strong points. Of all the things you said, the suspension is the part that would concern me the most. I believe the suspension in those trucks is unique to the dumps. The motor is no worry...fix the head gasket or swap out the motor. The fenders don't scare me...get nice take-outs from Winslow in Halifax, NC. A cab if it is bad, while a huge job, is no turn-off either. The bed rust is just sheet metal work if you can do it or pay someone else to do so. If the suspension is really toast, you will either need to finds a parts truck or have it fabricated. By the way, John Murray has a couple of parts dumps. That would probably be my first call to find out what he'd want for one and what all was there.

FYI...you can't just swap over the dump parts to an M35 chassis. The trucks are different.

I agree with Jay...no way you are finding a willing trade partner for an M817 unless the M817 is really rough, too.

If your truck was done and complete, I would estimate it's value at between $10K-14K.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
ok i purchased this m342a2 sight unseen,and wanted some input on what i should do with this truck heres a run down of issues starts right up dump works fine but has blown head gasket spewing oil between the 2 heads? 2 rear springs have been overloaded and bent, both fenders are bondo queens, most all the outside triangle bed braces are rusted out wind shield frames, tailgate missing also needs all seat canvas, list goes on , i was thinking about taking the dump stuff off and putting it on my 1987 m35a2c so here is the dilemma i need a dump truck that works now but i dont want to destroy from what i understand is a rare truck. what are the odds some one would trade a m817 for it? whats it worth after its put back in shape?
None of that stuff is hard to fix.

The rear springs can easily be found from guys cutting up deuces for bob jobs.

Head gasket? As they say, there are 2 kinds of deuces: The ones that have had the head gaskets replaced and the ones that will need them replaced. It's a one day job. Easy.

Fenders? Not difficult to find (I think clintogf has 2 good fenders on a parts truck, we just need to get it home).

Bed triangles? Have welder, will fix. Or buy another bed, although their rarity may make that a little more difficult.

Windshields? Like half the deuces out there don't need new windshields anyway? 2 new windshields are less than $300.

Seat covers? Make em out of some spare canvas. Or buy em for like $100 from one of the many canvas suppliers.

Moving the dump stuff over to your other deuce? Doesn't the 342 have a reinforced frame?

Heck, trade it to Clinto for his M35 dumper.:mrgreen:
I like my Deuce dumper very much, only way I'd sell it is if someone gave me a lot more for it than it's worth.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just checked some pics and I might be wrong on the suspension differences. I do know that the chassis is different, though.

xm708

dumper

Is this the truck ? I would fix her up like all the guys said it is a rare truck regardless of condition. I know rare trucks as you see in my avatar m37 dumps are as rare or rarer than there big cousins. Definately fix it or sell to somebody who will don't part it out. But hey it is your truck right ?

Last edited:

ncduece

yes that is the truck, looks like i need a parts truck. i am up in wv about middle of the state. any reasonable salvage yards around? whos got the best price on the tabbed head gaskets? i just sold my 1952 m35a2 on ebay after all the work and money i put into it i went backwards. i suppose it not a really good time to sell right now and i dont see it getting any better for a long while. i dont want to through money away but i do respect the history of these truck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M342 is on the shorter wheelbase of the M275 tractor, not the M35/M44 frame.
The M342 is not the shorter wheelbase. The M47 and M59 are the short ones. The M342 was designed to be longer so more could be hauled including troops (which the 47/59 were not designed for).

ncduece

my m35a2c frame is about 10 inches longer measured from the rear spring hanger than the m342a2 also the pintle mount is set back about 6 inches on the m342a2

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
my m35a2c frame is about 10 inches longer measured from the rear spring hanger than the m342a2 also the pintle mount is set back about 6 inches on the m342a2
The rear overhang is shorter and pintle inset to allow the ability to dump. My M48 is the same way, the overhang is less than the standard M44 chassis to allow hooking up to a trailer. The M342 is the same wheelbase as the standard M44 chassis, it just has the overhang shortened. The M275's wheelbase is actually quite a bit shorter.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the 342 have heavier leaf springs than the M-35 A2, or perhaps more leafs per side?
Most all M35's I've seen had 10 leaf spring packs,(I had one that had 12 leafs).

The M342's I've seen have all had 12 leaf spring packs. I did not measure the spring packs for thickness.
I've seen several different M342 data plates with gvw's ranging from an Airborne rating of 21,300 to a high of 26,165 lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks