• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for at auction preview

JCKnife

Hey all--first post, new user here. Got pointed here from AR15.com.

I'm really tempted to pick up a Deuce at .gov liquidation auction. There are several coming up for auction, this week, near me. I do have an opportunity to preview. What should I look for / check out?

I will spend more time reading up here. Thank you!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
First of all find someone around you that owns one most of us will be more than willing to clue you in on the pit falls. Down load the -10 manual it is in the resources section, read it. It depends on the GL site but some will let you take batteries in with you to see if they will really run,or will slave them for you, none that I know of will let you move them. There are some threads on here that will tell you want to bring for recovery if you win. You are not buying off a car lot so don't think you can just get in a drive it home as if your truck needs work usually all you can do at the GL site is check fluids and put in batteries. Any real work usually must take place off Gov't land. The main thing to remember is "buyer beware"2cents

roscoe

I bought 3 and didn't preview any of them. I'd say your already ahead if you can preview. Nothing out of the ordinary to check - just as any other vehical in my opinion. What I'd look for though is indications of recent use. If it will start, check brake pressure, check all the fluids, look for signs of recent service (one of mine had paperwork in it from the last service indicating any problems found. Check the guages while running -- see if the air warning buzzer stops with the correct pressure. Crawl around and check for any for large rust holes. Best advice would be to take someone with you that has one or has knowledge. Just take your time there are lots of good trucks to choose from. Good luck with the search.

JCKnife

Sounds like good advice. Is there a member locator on this site? How can I locate a member near me? (near Frankfort, KY).

ARYankee

You can click on the tool bar near the top of the page on "Member's List" and do an advanced search for members in your area that way. It will pull up the majority of them in your area. You can always post something in the Preview Section and see if there isn't a member in your area that would meet you there and preview with you. I would do some hard searching... there is a lot of info on recovering along with previewing. Good luck!!! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks