• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for - first time purchase

Chow717

I am looking at buying a '71 or '72 M35A2 from a friend's father inlaw. Not sure of the engine mdl# or too much else other than "it starts and runs good". Always had a strong interest in owning a military vehicle but this would be my first venture into owning one. Is there anything specific I should ask or look for before making the purchase? We have talked price around 2500 which fits in my budget for now. Just have to smooth it over with the wife. Any assistance offered is greatly appreciated.... and needed. :)

oh yea.. I would need to drive it home over 500 miles. It has a title to transfer.

FreightTrain

Banned
First off,make sure it hasn't been hacked on.Check the wiring.Make sure there are no additions or ratty wiring.Check all fluids.Brake,Axles,Trans,Transfer,engine,Radiator.Pull the U shaped tube off the filter can to turbo,reach in and wiggle the turbine.It should have a little play but no more than a few thousands(being dry) and check to see if the blades contact the housing(if they do or there are rub marks then the turbo is shot).Replace the pipe and fire it up and look on the passenger side of the engine at the slobber tube.See how much blow by there is.There will be a steady stream of faint haze but it should be billowing smoke.Check for the usual leaks.There is a 90% shot there will be a LOT of oil on the passenger side block from teh Headgaskets especially if there are tabs hanging out of the head to block joint.Check the back side of all wheels for leaking oil.Check the front axle boots for tears.Check all the tires for dry rot.Now drive it.Remember,Left and up is reverse.Left and down is 1st,2nd is middle up,3rd middle down,4th right down(yea,U shaped shift) and 5th is right up.If there is not a side to side switch middle of the dash under it then always start in 1st gear cause it has a sprag not airshift front engagement.

Chow717

Thanks for the info on my request. I have found out the truck has more wrong with it than I want to deal with. Lots of noticable rust, a non-turbo engine, needs tires and batteries, cracked windshield needs replaced among other things. Would probably need to be towed the 500 + miles home.

dang.. I got the bug now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks