• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what to look for in a government liquidation auction vehicle

212sparky

Hi all, I am newbie here and looking for my first deuce. What should i look for? I looked on the GL site and found one that looks good but says unknown running condition. I am trying to set up a time to go and look it over. Is there certain things to be aware of? I have been reading through the site for 4 hours a day the last week and am trying to learn as much as possible and want to say thank you to all who post on here!!!

progun

Mine said that too. I also was missing the guages. I never saw my truck once except for the pictures. Took a chance, bought it and it turned out to be dang near perfect! I love it!

Flyingvan911

My truck (still at GL) had a condition code about 1 level above scrap. The truck is great. After I won it I went and did a better inspection. GL is a toss up. Maybe perfect, maybe a parts truck. If you want a truck that you know is in great shape, buy from a private seller. Then you can test drive it, etc. You will pay more but it won't be as much of a gamble.

scrapman

It's a crapshoot when dealing with gov't surplus/obsolete merchandise. I've gotten diamonds and lumps of coal. There are no guarantees that a truck you look at today will be as worthy when you pick it up 4 to 6weeks later after an EUC clears. When you bid at an auction, it is where is, as is. You may have one particular truck in mind when you preview them, but the only sure way to get THAT truck is to bid high and in some cases, very high. Alot of the deuce stock is 30 to 40 years old. The best thing you could do is to take somebody with you who is more mechanically inclined to help you look. You can't trust odometers or hourmeters to give you an accurate history of the trucks. GL is not a vehicle dealer that is governed by consumer protection laws.

Jimma

I bought a bargain priced truck at from Ft. Jackson thinking about parting it out. Advertised a starts and runs with a hard top. I was pleased to find new batteries, new tires, full fuel tank, fire extinguisher, bows, jerry can and all the tools, and electric wipers and a brand new slave port and it started immediately. Needless to say I am not going to part it out.

Clay James

I won one, still waiting on EUC so I don't know too much about it yet. I went and looked and it was the second best there. looks to be a recent rebuild or not used much since rebuild, engine is very clean, hoses and belts look new. The canvas was in great shape and the cab still has a rifle bracket. Some of the others looked more beat up. They had more rust, paint not too great, missing bows, canvas, some missing stake sides. Wasn't allowed to start any but they probably run. It is definately a crap shoot.

Last edited:

Andy1234

The first thing that I check on a truck (or any vehicle) is the brakes!

Aside from simply stepping on the brake pedal and feeling pressure (or not), look under the vehicle, on the inside of the tires. Look for brake fluid leaking out of wheel cylinders and leaving a trail on the inside of the tire. Look at the brake lines (the steel hard lines and the rubber flex lines). Are they wet? If so, there could be a leak.

If the GL rep will let you, open the access door on the floorboard and check the brake fluid level. If it's low, it had to go somewhere...

One thing to check before all this, is the obvious: If the truck has "no brakes" written on the door, windshield, or elsewhere, then there's a good chance that it'll need some work.

All that being said, the brake systems on a Duece or a 5 ton are ridiculously simple, compared to modern ABS systems. Part's are relatively available, and reasonably priced. You don't need any exotic electronic tools to fix them (but a big jack and jackstands are helpful :smile: ). The TM's that are on the site are a great reference, and can get you through nearly any repair.

One other thing, if you go and preview and find one you REALLY want, take pictures of it! Document it's condition, so if a GL rep runs a forklift through the radiator, you have some evidence for a claim (or at least a way out without paying a 10% cancellation fee).

Good luck!
Andy

stampy

Read Read Read...Learn all you can here and get to know your local deuce owners and learn what you can from them. Watch auctions before bidding and see how they work and if possible pre inspect trucks you plan to bid on. Set your personal maximum and try not to exceed it when bidding as things can get expensive quick. Sometimes the trucks with slight problems go cheaper and are easy fixes if you have the know how or a knowlegable friend who can help you. Read the TM's and put together a checklist of thing you will need to look for. Get it towed home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks