• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for under the hood before buying private party

dieck

Hello all,

I'm shopping for a deuce and have decided to go with a private party purchase to reduce the amount of immediate work to get it on the road. Also I like being able to go look the vehicle over and test drive it.

That said, I've never bought a vehicle this old. What would you check before you bought?

Also, I'm looking at a truck that seems pretty well preserved, however, the engine is leaking some oil. Is this common in the multi-fuel engines? Is there a way to distinguish between a small leak and major trouble?

I've done a search of the forums, but haven't found this specific question answered. If I've missed it I'm happy to refer to an older thread.

thank you,

Heath

dieck

Here is a thread most likely dealing with some of your questions - if you check the very bottom of this thread you will see links open up for your assistance:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/31807-buying-surplus-vs-private-party.html

Awww yes! I saw that thread but didn't make it to the end of the thread because it initially looked like it was dissolving into a fairly emotional discussion about reasonable profits for flipping trucks. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

-H

dieck

Engine1.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/platophoto/5076494900/

Engine2.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As requested. Pics of the engine bay. The owner says it is leaking oil. The pics of the engine look fairly wet to me... But then again I'm used to driving a toyota truck that never leaks a drop. Trying to get a feel for what constitutes a "problem" that will require engine work.

Are most engine issues evident on test drive from the smoke, power, noise? Or is it possible to have a great test drive and then 10 miles later a loud bang with with a piston through the hood? I know these trucks have high compression ratios....

The rest of the truck looks pretty clean. Main concern is the drive train. And again only because I'm not used to dealing with trucks of this vintage.

Maverick1701

The owner says it is leaking oil. The pics of the engine look fairly wet to me... But then again I'm used to driving a toyota truck that never leaks a drop. Trying to get a feel for what constitutes a "problem" that will require engine work.
I am pretty OCD when it comes to my vehicles and I HATE leaks...but I have come to the conclusion that A2s leak (as soon as you get one stopped another pops up) and there is nothing I can do about it

I just tell myself that if its leaking then its getting lube/fluid supplied to it...

Jimma

Look it over, see how much oil is all over the bottom of the engine and check oil and fluid levels. Also look in the fuel tank to see if it has inches of sludge in the bottom or if its clean. If the truck runs and drives decent, has been recently serviced and you are happy with the price its purely up to you.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I will bet dollars to donuts that the road draft tube mount on the valve covers is leaking and the bolt for the oil canister is leaking.

All that bring said, the only major leaks I'd be concerned about are head gaskets and rear main but honestly, there are 2 kinds of deuce owners:

Those who have already done head gaskets and rear main seals and those who are going to.

dieck

I will bet dollars to donuts that the road draft tube mount on the valve covers is leaking and the bolt for the oil canister is leaking.

All that bring said, the only major leaks I'd be concerned about are head gaskets and rear main but honestly, there are 2 kinds of deuce owners:

Those who have already done head gaskets and rear main seals and those who are going to.
Thanks, this was great feedback.

dieck

Look it over, see how much oil is all over the bottom of the engine and check oil and fluid levels. Also look in the fuel tank to see if it has inches of sludge in the bottom or if its clean. If the truck runs and drives decent, has been recently serviced and you are happy with the price its purely up to you.
After buying at auction, this particular truck was had two owners. Both who drove it very little before selling. I'm trying to figure out why both sold so quickly. Both were first time deuce owners and think maybe it was just more than they were ready for. But I don't think either have done much if any service to the truck.