• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to Look for When Buying an M923

Stricken

Hello all. I've been looking into getting some kind of excessively large truck for awhile. Why? I have no idea, I just want one.... and I want to drive around in it smoking cigars and wearing a patrol hat. I was originally thinking along the lines of an old cab over, but I started stumbling across Deuces and these 5 ton 6x6's. The price is much more appealing, especially for what you get out of them, and unlike a classic, I wouldn't feel guilty about beating on one of these a bit. I'm looking for something I can have some fun with off road around the state (Arizona) or take it to the dunes a couple times per year, so decent top speed (60 mph maybe) would be desirable. Also, my buddy has a cab over flatbed that makes an awesome party bus, so I'm thinking along those lines with the troop seats :wink: Considering the top speed and some of the other reviews I've read, I think a 5 ton like an M923 would be more to my liking than the Deuce. Still open to the Deuce, but it sounds like the 5 ton would be what I want. Basically, I'm looking for a toy, not a project. I'm very mechanically inclined, so a bit of maintenance like changing hoses/belts/seals now and then isn't an issue, but I don't want to be pulling the engine or tranny on one of these monsters, so are there any major chronic issues with the M939 variants? Any that are more reliable than others?

I've been looking at some of the auctions on IronPlanet, and this looks to be the cheapest way to pick one up. I already know I can register these in Az as Historic Vehicles as long as they're 25 years old, and I don't need a CDL to drive them. I'm wondering what should I look for when buying one of these? It looks like IP does pretty thorough inspections, but I'd still like to look at a truck in person before I bid on it (yes, I am able to get on base). Are there any upgrades I want or want to avoid? It looks like Hill AFB is selling off quite a few of the M923's, so I would probably buy one there unless a good one pops up at one of the closer bases. My closest storage/service facility would be my parents' place in northern Az, so I really want to make sure I get something able to make that 300 mile trip without any surprises.

PS I couldn't find any threads on this topic, so sorry if I'm :deadhorse:

Last edited:

jedawson1

CTIS can be troublesome on the a2 variants, but there are some threads that cover most of the common issues the repair. The 939's are good trucks, you'll be glad you have it, though storing it 300 miles away doesn't sound good. At that distance you would never use it, it will take you 5 hours or more in a 5 ton to drive that distance, that and a few hundred in fuel.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A straight M939 or A1 variant (We've determined that there is no A0....) will be powered by the NHC250. But lack the CTIS. The 250's can be problematic with cyl liners.

These trucks have a little more potential for speed than the older M39, M44, and M809 trucks did because of gearing. But they're still gearbound like just about every MV. 60mph isn't unheard of. But you'll need to check the speed rating on the tires. Brakes are vastly improved on these trucks as well.

There's a few upgrades out there, but it depends on the variant/goals.

I will say the M939 series is the "Cadillac" of the 5 ton MV. (Larger cab, more comfortable creature features, auto trans, exc.) I just wish there was a A1.5 variant. (Basically a A2 minus CTIS)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This will help :
[h=1]Check List Before buying M939 variant trucks.[/h]I would also recommend reading the -10 TM before looking to get familiar with the operation of the truck . The more you educate yourself on the truck the better you will be at inspecting.
You can download all the TM's here for free ;
[h=3]TM's for the 939 series trucks[/h]Here is a link to the -10 TM ; TM9-2320-272-10.pdf
TM9-2320-272-10 Operations manual for the M939 series trucks. Sept 2004

Gunzy

There really aren't that many going through Hill AFB right now, most are at a storage/repair facility in Ogden about 5 miles north of Hill. I live minutes away from both places and can pick up for you if needed. I have my own M923 so I can tow or slave start as needed and have a place I can store it for a while if need be all at a reasonable cost. The IP inspections do tend to be very thorough verses what GP used to do. Most trucks will need batteries but you can go with 2 group 31s instead of the 4 "Big" military ones. I run 2 31s and have no problems starting my NHC250. I personnaly prefer the NHC over the 6CTA for the low end torque but it is a preference thing. If you have anyone near you that can get you some seat time in both engine types I would recommend that so you can see how you feel for one or the other. IOf I can help just PM me.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some have found out (the hard way) that rebuilt trucks aren't all that. Shoddy work seems to be quite prevalent on more recent rebuilds. So my advice is to not get too fired up about paying a premium price on something just because it has new paint and low hours/miles due to a rebuild. You can find many threads relating to correcting various shortcomings on rebuilds.

The three M939 series trucks I have owned have all been what appear to be relatively low mileage originals (not rebuilt) and have been fantastic. All were well under 20,000 miles showing and nothing to indicate those miles were not correct to the vehicle. I consider all three to be bargains for what I got.

Also, if it appears they may have sat on underinflated tires at all, especially the Michelins, plan on new tires before hitting the highway or risk catastrophic failure. This is mostly on the CTIS equipped trucks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have the M927A2 with the super singles. I've been clocked at 70 in it towing an M923. I don't recommend going that fast. I was going by the speedo and thought I was loafing along around 60. I don't think they adjusted the speedos when they put the big tires on them. The ones with the 8.3 are a lot quieter than the 250 equipped trucks. If you get an A2 with working CTIS it will help out in the sand. Just remember to put ballast in the rear if you think your going to be in a low traction area.
The 8.3's are more user friendly as far as turning them up for more power but make sure you do it right or pay an expert. Grenading an engine is no fun.
Welcome to the madness.:cookoo:

Stricken

Ok, so it sounds like I want the A2 for the engine, but I also want to disable the CTIS. I do like the look of the CTIS on the rims, but I don't want it to be functioning. Is this something that can be done quickly before I drive it home? I think I saw a thread about plugging the holes in the axles. BTW, does the 8.3 get better mpg that the 250? It would be nice if it was closer to 10mpg than 5

CTIS can be troublesome on the a2 variants, but there are some threads that cover most of the common issues the repair. The 939's are good trucks, you'll be glad you have it, though storing it 300 miles away doesn't sound good. At that distance you would never use it, it will take you 5 hours or more in a 5 ton to drive that distance, that and a few hundred in fuel.
It won't be stored 300 miles away, that's just my closest service point on the return trip. I have a buddy that will store it as long as he gets to drive it :D

This will help :
Check List Before buying M939 variant trucks.

I would also recommend reading the -10 TM before looking to get familiar with the operation of the truck . The more you educate yourself on the truck the better you will be at inspecting.
You can download all the TM's here for free ;
TM's for the 939 series trucks

Here is a link to the -10 TM ; TM9-2320-272-10.pdf
TM9-2320-272-10 Operations manual for the M939 series trucks. Sept 2004
Exactly what I was looking for!

There really aren't that many going through Hill AFB right now, most are at a storage/repair facility in Ogden about 5 miles north of Hill. I live minutes away from both places and can pick up for you if needed. I have my own M923 so I can tow or slave start as needed and have a place I can store it for a while if need be all at a reasonable cost. The IP inspections do tend to be very thorough verses what GP used to do. Most trucks will need batteries but you can go with 2 group 31s instead of the 4 "Big" military ones. I run 2 31s and have no problems starting my NHC250. I personnaly prefer the NHC over the 6CTA for the low end torque but it is a preference thing. If you have anyone near you that can get you some seat time in both engine types I would recommend that so you can see how you feel for one or the other. IOf I can help just PM me.
I may be contacting you as I get closer to purchase. I've been itching for a motorcycle trip through Utah, so it might be a good reason to go inspect one of them. Would diesel pickup truck batteries do the trick? I can bring a couple of those when I pick it up.

Some have found out (the hard way) that rebuilt trucks aren't all that. Shoddy work seems to be quite prevalent on more recent rebuilds. So my advice is to not get too fired up about paying a premium price on something just because it has new paint and low hours/miles due to a rebuild. You can find many threads relating to correcting various shortcomings on rebuilds.

The three M939 series trucks I have owned have all been what appear to be relatively low mileage originals (not rebuilt) and have been fantastic. All were well under 20,000 miles showing and nothing to indicate those miles were not correct to the vehicle. I consider all three to be bargains for what I got.

Also, if it appears they may have sat on underinflated tires at all, especially the Michelins, plan on new tires before hitting the highway or risk catastrophic failure. This is mostly on the CTIS equipped trucks.
Is there any way to tell the rebuild/service history aside from the hours/miles not making sense?

Stricken

Not sure why my post didn't post yesterday...

I won't be storing it 300 miles away, that's just my nearest waypoint on the return trip.

If the 14.0 had issues with the cylinder liners, I think I would lean to the A2. Is there a difference in MPG? I know it's terrible either way, but 2-3mpg difference can reduce the cost of a trip by quite a bit.

Thanks for the checklist porkysplace. One thing I didn't see was oil pressure. The trucks I'm looking at on IP are varying anywhere from 10-80psi. What should the oil pressure be with correct oil? I found an M925 I really like, but the oil pressure gauge is broken (reading max always). Not sure how leery I should be with that...

Thanks for the offer Gunzy, I might take you up on that, or at least stop by for lunch if I buy one up there. Will the batteries out of my Powerstroke do the trick? They're ~850 CCA.

Aside from the hours/miles not making sense, is there a way to tell if it's been rebuilt?

I think I'm also wanting the Super Singles. Sounds like I can scoot a bit faster if I wanted to, and I gather that they're much better offroad. I have several other hot rods, so I don't really want to mess with the engine unless it's a preventative measure for longevity.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get 5 - 6 mpg out of my M925 with the NH250.

I've gotten an honest 11mpg out of an M923A2 with the 8.3 cruising interstate, and 9 mpg generally around town out of that same truck. That truck was the best in terms of mpg.

One M931A2 with the 8.3 got 6-8mpg, and also made noticeably more power than any of the other 5tons I've driven.

I'm in Tucson. You're welcome to come by and I'll go over my truck with you. Until yesterday I had an M931A2 we could have used for comparison between the standard trucks and the A2s, but I sold it and delivered it to the new owner yesterday.

PM sent with contact info.

Edit - the 2 batteries out of your pickup truck will be fine.

The only difference between the 923 and 925 is the winch. The winch adds about $1500 in value/cost.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Actually there was a recent discussion about this.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137288-M923a2-prices&highlight=

A lot of those trucks have now been sitting longer and longer periods. No matter what, get a title or in other words, get a title or you should just ensure you get a title. If you're offered one without a title, don't just walk away---run.

You may want to check the classifieds on here also.

Stricken

It looks like everything on IP comes with a transferable title, so I don't think that's something to be worried about. I've seen some local, but everyone refers to clean title and registration.

Artisan

I was going to tell you to look up SS member 98G, I see he
already chimed in.

I have an M925A1 outfitted nicely for the civilian w/ 2" receiver hitch
and towbar mounted and Route Clearance lights and Infared lights and
switches w/ separate idiot lights for all. I have serviced it till I am
blue in the face, I would not hesitate to go to Alsaka and back in any
weather conditions. How much? PUNT but I will not give it away. It
is SOLID. Ask 98G how I maintain my trucks... You can see how anal
I am in my M916 thread HERE .

If interested and if you have an iphone you can call me using FACETIME
and I can show you the whole shootin match. It is not for sale in the sense
I am actively trying to sell it but if I were offered enough I would let it go.

B

TEAMJENSEN

I'm new to the forum, thank you for the add. I'm looking at a 1991 m923a2 and was wondering if this model would survive a EMP and still work? Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm new to the forum, thank you for the add. I'm looking at a 1991 m923a2 and was wondering if this model would survive a EMP and still work? Thanks!
Yes it requires no power to operate once it is running if you remove the fuel shut off solenoid. You simply jump the starter connections if the control box or starter switch is broken

TEAMJENSEN

How would I "jump the starter connections if the control box or starter switch is broken". Thank you for your response and help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks