• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to use for sealing bolt threads?

todds112

Kind of a dumb question. I replaced the front side, front axle pinion seal. Replaced the gasket for the seal housing too. Used liberal amounts of RTV to seal everything up. I noticed today it appears to still be leaking a bit from some of the bolts that hold the seal housing to the diff. What should I used to seal up the bolt threads? I have some "Right Stuff" gasket maker. I also have some PFTE thread sealant. Obviously I want to be able to get the bolts out in the future easily if I have to.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that one; or Loctite 587 RTV.
Actually any good silicone sealant will work OK, but before covering the bolt threads they need to be dry and clean!

Out of those 6 bolt holes only two (or maybe three, I forgot) are through-holes and need to be sealed well. Eventually screw the (sealed)bolt all the way in and back out, then clean threads and again apply sealant. Use very little or nothing at all where there are blind holes.

G.

todds112

Thanks guys, I noticed only a few holes seemed to go through. It looks like only 1 or maybe 2 are leaking. I'll start with those.

Woodsplinter, I have actually have that exact stuff unopened on the shelf. I'll give it a try.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like Indian Head Shellac.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like Indian Head Shellac.
I use this a bunch but have never tried it on threads. I know on a mating surface it can make the parts really hard to remove if you ever want to take it back off. How hard is it to remove a bolt coated with it?

I once had a industrial gearbox that leaked. We took it apart several times trying to stop the leak. We tried everything, all kinds of gaskets and all kinds of sealants. In a act of desperation, we cleaned up the surfaces and applied a liberal amount of Indian Head only (no gasket or anything). Fixed the leak.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bolts remove fairly easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks