• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What too buy?

Iceman3005

The only difference between the 2.5 ton and 5 ton is the springs and axles.......right? Just wondering witch one too buy?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd suggest starting out with a deuce. They are a bit smaller to cut your teeth on...plus they tend to be cheaper (except possibly, if you are lucky, the 5 ton tractors).

Iceman3005

If you guys wouldn't mind some of the major differences....don't need long drawn out comments.....just a few differences. My friends dad got a 2.5 a few months ago and he let me drive it:jumpin: it was awesome[thumbzup] but way underpowered are 5 tons more powerful?

M813A1

Basically the 5 Ton and Deuce arethe same cab and interior the runing gear on a 5 ton is larger and heavier as well as the frame is too. Things like the lights, and body part do tend to interchange but that is it !! The engne and trans and transfer do not interchange and are much heavier the winch on a 5 ton is 20,000 lbs. and the duece is 10,000lbs, . Tires are small 9:00 x 20 and have 6 lug rims on the Duece and the 5 ton has 11:00 X 20 on 10 lug Budd style rims . The 5 ton M809 Series and earlt M939 Series have the NHC 250 Cummins engine !! The deuce has a LDT-465 Multi-fuel engine that is turbo charged . You need to look at the TM.'s and do some reading then decide which truck you want ! I hope that this helps you some

Iceman3005

Looked at forums in both 2.5 and 5 ton, from what I can tell the 2.5 is a little easier to drive. The 5 ton is more heavy duty like M813A1 said. I do like the cummins :grin: oh ya!

65 m151a1

If you guys wouldn't mind some of the major differences....don't need long drawn out comments.....just a few differences. My friends dad got a 2.5 a few months ago and he let me drive it:jumpin: it was awesome[thumbzup] but way underpowered are 5 tons more powerful?
Iceman

Duce's are not under powered. They can hual and hang with the 18 wheelers. I drove a M36 many times in convoys and I could catch, hang and pass them on the highway.

Just like a race car. The car is only as good as the driver. The same here with HMV's.

Later Joe

Iceman3005

Iceman

Duce's are not under powered. They can hual and hang with the 18 wheelers. I drove a M36 many times in convoys and I could catch, hang and pass them on the highway.

Just like a race car. The car is only as good as the driver. The same here with HMV's.

Later Joe

I guess I'm comparing too my 625 hp cat in the peterbuilt I drive, I weigh in close too 70 ton loaded with gas and it pulled the same hill faster than the duece. I was doing 40 at the top and he(duece was doing 25. Here's a pic of my truck.

Attachments

91W350

The deuce would have to be really careful what 18 wheeler it was going to run with. Most of the modern stuff will pull a load heavier than the deuce's GVW and run faster than the deuce is capable of running. Additionally, the 18 wheeler will be much safer, at least it has a braking system capable of the speeds and loads you are talking about. That M36 must be rated much higher and faster than me M35!

KsM715

Iceman

Later Joe

I'd like to see a video of a deuce passing a semi on the highway.

Iceman, if you liked driving the deuce you love a 5ton (at least the 809 series), slightly more powerful, power steering and better brakes.

emr

The Deuce is not easier to drive than a 5 ton, but both are fun and both have there good and better points, i love em both, they are different , a deuce is a better first truck though in MY OPINION> ... :) :driver:

U say the deuce is under powered, actually it is not under powered at all, If u are expecting a truck the is going to rip down the road u will be much happier collecting street trucks, than Mil trucks. NONE are fast and they were never meant to be, a Deuce has all the power she needs, a little fuel turn up is a good thing, but that is something that can only be compared to another deuce, they will never fly, A 5 ton is bigger and more powerful, but I think U may think they are under powered also, unless u really think and understand that these are tactical trucks made to perform in lower gears in rough terrain, like carry the off road load in 60% slopes and safely in those environments, when one increases the speed of a vehicle it takes away from the other end, there is no such thing as a truck or anything that can do it all, Good luck keep the interest and drive that deuce again, than ask around to drive the 5 ton, like so well said above, it is the only way u will understand what we mean, actually i think a deuce is geared to high already and would prefer a lower gear ratio, but thats me, speed is not where its at for me, i want to pull slow, loud and tough :) ...

Last edited:

motomacguyver

So, 625 HP @ 1700 RPM =~ 1930 ft lbs. torque. (hp = tq*RPM / 5252)

How does this compare to 130 hp @ 2400 RPM? - 284 ft/lbs.

15000 lbs / 284 ft lbs = 52.8 lbs/ ft-pnd

140,000 lbs / 1930 ft lbs = 72.5 lbs/ ft-pnd

Must be a mighty short hill.

Got You. April fools....

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock 5 tons will run all day long at 50 MPH. The 5 tons have factory power steering, loads of torque, and are a blast to drive. Having said that, 5 tons are loud(but quieter than a deuce) you really need a CDL to drive one, and will eat you out of house and home.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 800 series came stock with the 250 HP naturally aspirated straight diesel engine......they will pull a lot more than 5 tons.....they were used to pull the 5000 gallon tanker in POL units....they didn't do it fast but they did it consistantly.

I once pulled a narrow guage railroad box car on a 30 foot dropdeck lowboy with one....when we got it to DRMO it scaled out at over 80,000 pounds......I never got out of low range but I did get the job done.....our Motor Sergeant almost crapped his pants when he saw the scale ticket.

As stated above neither the deuce or 5 tons were made for speed....they were made to pull heavy loads over rough terrain while being operated by young inexperienced drivers.

Everything on the 5 ton is heavier and more expensive than a deuce......and they will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank....and that is diesel fuel at almost 4 bucks a gallon (where I live).....at least with the duece you can run a variety of fuel.

You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs arse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks