• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What trailer is this?

Unimog435115

Hello everybody,
I am new to this really interesting forum and am glad to have been accepted to take part!
I live in Germany and participate from there.

A Unimog 1300L, a Unimog 404 and a Mercedes GD240 are my military toys if you will. Now a HMMWV 1097A2 is to replace the Mercedes GD 240.
For the Humvee I am looking for a trailer that fits to my Unimog (it has NATO coupling) and can carry the HMMWV.

Soon there will be an auction in the Netherlands where surplus US military stock will be auctioned. Among others also several times the following trailer (please see photos).
Unfortunately the item description doesn't say much about the trailer....

Who can tell me what designation/type is it? What technical data does it have and especially what load capacity does it have?
And is the trailer drawbar extendable?

Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards from Frankfurt/Germany

Chris

Attachments

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everybody,
I am new to this really interesting forum and am glad to have been accepted to take part!
I live in Germany and participate from there.

A Unimog 1300L, a Unimog 404 and a Mercedes GD240 are my military toys if you will. Now a HMMWV 1097A2 is to replace the Mercedes GD 240.
For the Humvee I am looking for a trailer that fits to my Unimog (it has NATO coupling) and can carry the HMMWV.

Soon there will be an auction in the Netherlands where surplus US military stock will be auctioned. Among others also several times the following trailer (please see photos).
Unfortunately the item description doesn't say much about the trailer....

Who can tell me what designation/type is it? What technical data does it have and especially what load capacity does it have?

Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards from Frankfurt/Germany

Chris
It might say on the tag on the tounge ive seen them called 1101 or chassis on govplanet

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NSN 2330-01-387-5424 , Chassis Trailer

M1102 variant, Chassis trailer, single axle, 2-wheel.png

Keep looking.......
Even with a special platform to fit a HMMWV, that single axle trailer in Q. would be seriously overloaded!
Nope.

Unimog435115

I have reduced the maximum total weight of my Unimog to 6300 kg (approx. 13900 lbs) total weight for tax reasons.
According to the legal rules for road traffic in Germany, the operation with a trailer with a maximum total weight of 9450 kg (approx. 20800 lbs) is allowed under these conditions.
The HMMWV weighs approx. 2500 kg (approx. 5500 lbs).
So the trailer does not necessarily have to be extremely light. If you had the task outlined above, which US Army trailer would you consider?

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know of any military trailer that will fit your requirements that well. A lot of that is due to weight. The military has plenty of people to drive vehicles, and the equipment that needs transported tends to be on vehicles/trailers that are massively overbuilt and overweight for the actual use. Any military trailer that is large enough to fit the HMMWV is also going to likely weigh at least as much as the HMMWV if not several times heavier.

Just to clarify though as not everything translates perfectly, is the maximum weight of everything combined if using a trailer 9450kg, or is that just for the trailer with the load on it, so added to the truck would be a combined gross weight of 15,750kg?

Unimog435115

I don't know of any military trailer that will fit your requirements that well. A lot of that is due to weight. The military has plenty of people to drive vehicles, and the equipment that needs transported tends to be on vehicles/trailers that are massively overbuilt and overweight for the actual use. Any military trailer that is large enough to fit the HMMWV is also going to likely weigh at least as much as the HMMWV if not several times heavier.

Just to clarify though as not everything translates perfectly, is the maximum weight of everything combined if using a trailer 9450kg, or is that just for the trailer with the load on it, so added to the truck would be a combined gross weight of 15,750kg?

First of all, thank you everyone for your friendly and constructive contributions!

The task I have set myself is to load the Hmmvwv onto a trailer and then attach it to my Unimog. In this scenario, the Hummwv doesn't have to pull anything, but is pulled.
In the civilian sector here, the maximum towing load (i.e. the weight of the trailer plus the load) that a towing vehicle can pull may be 1.4 times as high as the permissible total weight of the towing vehicle. The maximum towing load consists of the total weight of the trailer plus the weight of the load (here Hummwv).

In the case of my Unimog 1300L, the weight of the trailer and its load together can be a maximum of 9450 kg (approx. 20800 lbs) .

Guyfang

Staff member
Thinking about something like this: https://kraftsmantrailers.com/sites/default/files/model_f1-16_1.pdf
Their 18'+4 version would work fine and it's 2000lbs lighter than the M1061.

Be hard to find here in Germany. But there are lots of trailers for sale here, more or less like it. And they would sit lower then the M1061. The M1061 has 4 very stable landing legs that are very handy. Trailers like the Kraftsman, on pavement, one man can move them around, empty. With the M1061, you could not even think of doing that.

Unimog435115

May I ask why you want a military trailer, when there are many options (with electric brakes) in the civy world?

Thinking about something like this: https://kraftsmantrailers.com/sites/default/files/model_f1-16_1.pdf
Their 18'+4 version would work fine and it's 2000lbs lighter than the M1061.
Civilian trailers here in Germany have a different towing eye and do not fit a NATO coupling. I don't know whether this also applies to US civilian trailers.
I don't want to replace the actual trailer hitch on my Unimog and am therefore looking for military trailers. (American) Military trailers are sometimes also available in Germany or neighboring European countries at affordable prices (e.g. in auctions or from specialized dealers).
However, I haven't seen any civilian trailers from the US here yet. I also think these were probably more expensive to purchase.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Civilian trailers here in Germany have a different towing eye...
Yes, and not only in Germany... But the good thing is there are (height-adjustable) 3" lunette rings available, which are GTW-certified and don't cost a fortune.
Here is just one example: https://www.etrailer.com/Lunette-Ring/Buyers-Products/337B20145.html

Electrical hook-up shouldn't be a problem either; there are all sorts of adapters/ converters on the market.
I'm sure that even in your country you wouldn't be the first one towing a civi trailer with 12V electric brakes behind a 24V military vehicle and be all legal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks