• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What trailers to buy?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only trailer authorized to be behind the M1009 is the M416. It will tow the M101. M116 without too much problems though.

mangus580

We have the M116 Generator trailer, and it tows like a dream behind my 1009. I really want to find a nice M101 to have for it.

dilvoy

Warren, I can tell you what is just beyond the suggested towing load of a M1009. A couple of years ago I bought two trailers from Vandenberg AFB. One was the M116 with two 10KV generators installed and the other was the M101A2 with two 3KV generators inatalled. I took the jerry can holders off of the fenders and the bows off of the M116 and placed the M101 on top of it and used chain and binders to hold them together. I made shure to place the top trailer a little forward so the bottom trailer was not tail heavy. The braking was affected but not very badly. Acceleration was really affected. I had no problems on the whole trip up to San Francisco except on the Questa Grade just North of Paso Robles. Near the top of that steep grade the hot light started to flicker, but never fully lit. Those 10KV generators are heavy and having another trailer with generators on top of them to boot makes me think that an M101 or M116 with just about what ever you could cram into it will tow well behind an M1009, unless you fill it with engine blocks or something like that. The later trailers use the 8 bolt truck wheels like the M1008's use instead of the big five lug bud wheels of the M37's that the older ones use.

Dieselsmoke

You wouldn't believe how many clowns I see pulling a M105 with a M1009, that just ain't real safe but they do it anyhow.