• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What tranny will bolt up to the GMC 302 ??

I bought a cckw to take the bell housing transmission and transfer case out of for my m211 but I kept the automatic thinking a bell housing from a 270 would work on a 302 if I ever needed it . is the 302 crank machined to take a pilot bushing ?

hippiedude

If you want a standard the easy quick way you would need a CCKW Transmission ...... Fly wheele ..... Clutch ....... T-case .... (If you want to keep it 6 wheele drive W/high- low ) ..... Pedals ....... Drive shafts ??? ..........Brackets , mounts ,( crossmembers) ?? ..... Thats if you can find the parts for a far price ........... There is probly a few options available in bone yards if you just want to drive it around .........in rear wheele drive .... one rang .. (no low ) ...........Go to FORMS .. look for the erly duece .... check out Save this truck ......... Get that transmission( its not that far from you ) and save yourself a ton of work ......2cents ..... I can`t for the life of me figure out how to post the link ...:oops:..........Oh well ..........
Tim

dsistare

steelandcanvas- i really dont know much about them i was hoping there was a easy fix and i was hoping to get a standard but who knows maybee i can get a tranny from that guy in maine

YkDave

alfaheaven even has some transmissions for $650

Personally wouldnt be my first choice to throw another hydromatic into it, but for the price and simplicity of just R+Ring it, you cant really go wrong.

Oldfart

The GMC six cylinder engines are not uniquely military. It is the bolt on parts that make it different. The Hydromatic transmission is the same bolt pattern as civilian units. There were many combinations of transmissions that GMC used in their medium duty truck lines. In the mid 50's, GMC used at first an Oldsmobile 324 V8 as well as 270 in line 6's. Later they shifted from the Olds to a Pontiac 336 V8 due to premature timing chain failure with the Oldsmobile engine. While the bell housing bolt pattern is the same (even on the Cadillac) and there were both 4 and 5 speed manual truck transmissions that will bolt up, (there were even dual clutch setups) the problem with a conversion to stick shift is the lo range feature in the M211 Hydromatic transmission. A complete swap would require a change from the in and out transfer box of the M211 to a two speed transfer case such as used in the CCKW. That being said, I have seen several swaps that work well using the in and out box with a stick shift and operating in only what could be described as high range. Our own M220 only gets operated in low range in reverse to avoid the potential damage to the transmission that seems to be an inherent problem with this transmission. We never haul a load that would require that low gearing.

Crank is machined for pilot bushing or converter guide (same same.)

Last edited:

M215

Where does a PTO bolt up on a CCKW, tranny or transfer and what side? The PTO on the M135 / M211 is on the transfer, drivers side. Not an issue if a non-winch truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks