• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What trickle chargers are you guys using?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a NOCO Genius GEN5X2 in my 802. No issues so far. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/integrated-battery-chargers.205097/

I use one of these mounted on the case (in the plate on the side near the pocket door up front that has the aux fuel hose in it): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ANV81S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The nice thing about having a dual bank setup IN the machine... if your alternator decides to stop producing at some point... you can simply run an extension cord from the convenience outlet on the front of the machine, to the side plug referenced above... and you won't drain the batteries while running!

PXL_20210915_182527517.jpgPXL_20210915_183024075.jpgPXL_20210916_124444948.jpgPXL_20210916_124448303.jpg

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can those dual bank noco chargers in fact be hooked up in series (one bank to each battery) without issue? Or do you need to disconnect the batteries first?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the same NOCO charger on my CUCV and Duramax diesel.
Use several other NOCOs for other vehicles/equipment.
All the NOCO chargers have been flawless for years.

For my MEP-002A, I use a 12w solar charger/maintainer.
Same for my NF-2D light tower/generator.
Been working great so far.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can those dual bank noco chargers in fact be hooked up in series (one bank to each battery) without issue? Or do you need to disconnect the batteries first?
Each branch/bank has a + and - ring terminal that you need to install on the crossbolts of the respective battery (and each has an inline fuse for redundant safety). So you need to unhook upon first installation, but they stay put thereafter. You just want to make sure the charger is not energized when the machine is running, or you can get into an overcharging situation with the batteries.

kurtomatic

The NOCO chargers are, in fact, genius. Highly recommended.

Yes. I do this with my RV coach all the time. A 4 x 10A charger will charge 4 batteries together as if it was a 40A charger. The NOCOs are pretty sophisticated about handling a situation like that.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Each branch/bank has a + and - ring terminal that you need to install on the crossbolts of the respective battery (and each has an inline fuse for redundant safety). So you need to unhook upon first installation, but they stay put thereafter. You just want to make sure the charger is not energized when the machine is running, or you can get into an overcharging situation with the batteries.

Ok, for some reason I thought that both negative terminals were common.

z

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military uses this system on a lot of gensets and vehicles.

Military Solargizer Battery Maintenance System

I've heard good and bad from people that have ran it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks