• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What TSU?

Pstyckiewicz

I think I have an issue with my TSU.
The truck starts right up from a cold start. If you let it run for 10 or so minutes and shut it off and restart the wait light comes on for a second then goes out. I go to turn it on it turns over for a little bit then finally turns on. I’m assuming that there could be an issue with the TSU thinking the engine is warm enough to not need the glow plugs? If I need to replace what is the TSU I need.

Attachments

Pstyckiewicz

Also I have noticed some TSU units with same part number but different branding like (KDS) . From my understanding the brand needs to correspond. So a Smart Start box would need a smart start TSU?

springer1981

I'm not an expert but I believe the TSU with the Yellow band works with Smart Start boxes. There is also a CR-2696A TSU that is also a Yellow band and should work as well.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yellow Band denotes it’s a KDS manufactured TSU, Nartron doesn’t have the Yellow band….IMO, the colored band was for easy identification between a TSU and GPC. KDS got it right, because many many times I find people purchased and installed an old GPC thinking it was a Newer TSU, but you have to carefully read the unit and you will see they are in fact different

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a sticky on this forum that matches the TSU to the EESS box (EDIT it looks like the sticky is missing info about the newer smart start boxes)
Are you waiting at least 90 seconds from when you put the run switch in stop and then try to re-start it (if you don't do this every time you can burn out your glow plugs)

Last edited:

Pstyckiewicz

Yes I wait a decent amount of time. Shutting off and turning on. When turning on I turn to the middle wait light comes on for a second then disappears, then I wait a few more seconds to try to start.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think after a full 10 min. the combustion chambers would be warm enough not to need the glow plugs.
How does it start when fully warmed up?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven’t had much chance to run it for extended periods of time. More testing required for that aspect of it.
Then you need to not worry about the glow plugs at this time, there are other things that can cause it to hard start when warmed up, as long as it works normally when cold go ahead and move on the other things until you can run it long enough to get it fully warmed up.
Are you still running the same fuel that came with it?

Pstyckiewicz

I replaced all the glow plugs already. Still on the same diesel it came with haha. Probably been in there for 7 years. Read another post about draining any water built up in the filter area by opening up valve when at idle. Might try that with some fresh diesel. Any additive to run through it?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By now you should have drained and replaced ALL the fluids and filters especially the fuel filter and fuel.
Also remove the check valves in front of the fuel tank...
This is by far the cheapest insurance you can buy....

Order a new fuel tank drain plug and git rid of the fuel that came with it, if you got that machine from GP it is probably allot older than that and is likely JP

Pstyckiewicz

Engine oil and filter, transmission oil and filter, front diff oil, most of my time has been putting things back together and figuring out what is missing. Fuel system as aforementioned is next on the list.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the check valve. I would be removing both the supply line and return line ones? Also what would I use to fill the void from which it came?
Yes remove both check valves, replace with a new pieces of good quality fuel hose, IIRC 5/16 for the return line and 3/8" for the fuel supply line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks