• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What type of diesel on these?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine model is and Onan DJFM. The same as the Civilian DJF model. Parts for the engines are hard to come by. I have some on hand from my sets. I just sold an engine to smokeyjoej to rebuild for his set, he told me he got some new head gaskets and other smaller parts from a local Onan rep. So there are some parts still out there.

The injector pump is an AMBAC model 50 pump. But those too I think are hard if not impossible to find parts for.

Luckily, If you have a set that runs good and you take care of it, it should last your lifetime and mine put together...LOL Unless you really use it a lot. Most home back-up needs these things should last forever.

Nonotagain

I am just wondering what make or model diesel engine is on these gensets? Are parts available for them?
Can't tell from the photo if the generator is a two or four cylinder version, but both engines are made by Onan.

The MEP-002a is the two cylinder version, 5 Kw rated @ 80% power factor.

The MEP-003a is the four cylinder version, 10 Kw rated @ 80% power factor.

Both generators produce single and three phase electricity of 60 hZ.

Both are air cooled and will run for close to 12 hours at rated capacity on one tank of fuel.

Parts are available on the surplus market.

GL sells a lot of these generators, some are just field returns with no service performed others have been rebuilt. Let the hours on the meter be your guide.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I should have asked...is it an MEP-003a or the 002a. 2 of 4 cylinder? I'm assuming it's the 4 cylinder 003a. I believe that most of the parts are interchangeable between the two though.

You lucky dog...I see that you have one of the elusive NATO slave cable adapters on your set...I hope it's still there when you go to pick it up. Maybe you can go by and have them lock it up in the office till you get your paperwork back.

avengeusa

so what do both gensets normally sell for, i have been looking at them.....

i like the idea of the 10k units....

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
avengeusa said:
so what do both gensets normally sell for, i have been looking at them.....

i like the idea of the 10k units....
It's hard to say what they go for. A lot depends on the location where it's sold, how many people want it more than you is a big one. You can definitely get a better deal if they are selling a lot of them at one time, probably 50 or more. When I bought mine they were selling 150 of them in the same event. I picked up two for just under $1300 after the fees and taxes. I've seen one lone set go for that much in the right market. If you want to get the ASK with it or want it on a trailer...expect to pay close to or over $1000 for one set.

I will tell you this though, they are great sets and mine run like champs. One of them produces enough power to run my whole house with capacity left over.

Nonotagain said:
GL sells a lot of these generators, some are just field returns with no service performed others have been rebuilt. Let the hours on the meter be your guide.
Not to contradict, but you can not trust the hour meters on these sets. Are they supposed to be correct...Yes

Are they supposed to record and make a note of the hours when they replace the meter due to failure or damage...YES

Do they do this...NO!!...or at least not always.

I have seen sets for sale on GL that have very few recorded hours (less than 100), with severely weathered control panels and rusty screws on the other gauges. This tells me that they have either set outside in the weather for a great number of years without being run, or the meter was replaced! These are just like the deuces you buy, when there is a problem with the gauge you replace it. I can't hardly imagine a 1970 deuce with only 10 to 15 thousand original miles...can you?

citizensoldier

Lucky dog? I don't own one yet.. Just doing some research.. I have heard that Onan quit making them and all the parts with it so that's why I was asking. I was not sure if it was a Onan motor on them.. I would love one though and hell I sell that type of trailer for 1k without the set so if you could get one for $1200 thats a deal to me. As long as it runs..;-)
Thanks for all the info guys.. I apreachi

Nonotagain

Not to contradict, but you can not trust the hour meters on these sets. Are they supposed to be correct...Yes

Are they supposed to record and make a note of the hours when they replace the meter due to failure or damage...YES

Do they do this...NO!!...or at least not always.

I have seen sets for sale on GL that have very few recorded hours (less than 100), with severely weathered control panels and rusty screws on the other gauges. This tells me that they have either set outside in the weather for a great number of years without being run, or the meter was replaced! These are just like the deuces you buy, when there is a problem with the gauge you replace it. I can't hardly imagine a 1970 deuce with only 10 to 15 thousand original miles...can you?
To clarify my earlier posting.

A genset with new looking paint and stencils that has an hour meter showing low hours probably does have low hours. Has the unit been rebuilt? I can't say without a pre-view.

A friend purchased a MEP-003 a couple of months ago with two hours on meter. He paid a premium for low hour unit. Turned out that unit had been rebuilt at Letterkenny Depot. They tagged the unit and installed a new metal tag indicating that the unit was rebuilt (November 2008). Was the unit worth the money? You betcha Red Rider.

I have a couple of 003's. My first had 2200 hours. All fluids had been drained and unit was mothballed with aluminum tape over the control panel and all engine openings.

My second 003 showed 7 hours. This one was mounted on a piece of equipment that was scheduled to be deploy and was pulled before deployment. I did a quick pre-view before bidding. The unit really had 7 hours and was new not rebuilt.

Any of these gensets that show low hours with nasty looking paint and rusty fasteners holding other gauges in are assumed to be a replacement gauges.

I totally agree with you in regards to the number of units being auctioned effecting prices. Chambersburg and Fort Drum (Fort Drum gets the overflow from Chambersburg) typically sell lots of 50 or more gensets at one time. As a side to this the prices are 20-30% lower than auctions when only 10-20 generators are sold at one location. Same goes for trucks.

Mep-002a's on average sell for $800 +/_ $50.
Mep-003a's on average sell for $900 +/_ $50.

Super low hour units bring a premium of $200-250 more than the average price units.

These prices are based on selling prices for Chambersburg and Fort Drum.

Can't speak for prices of generators mounted on trailers as I don't have an interest in a trailer mounted genset.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill W,
It's engine is actually the Onan DJF model. The DJC has a 3.25 inch bore and the DJF has a 3.5 inch bore. The MEP's have the 3.5 inch bore. Both of my units have the metal tag on the fan cover beside the oil filter with the model number DJFM...I have to assume the "M" stands for Military.

Nonotagain,
I always tell people not to trust the hour meters simply because, I have seen several sets with replacement hour meters that did not have the original hours recorded, and were not rebuilt at the depot. I have also seen several with the hours recorded and labled on the panels as they are supposed to be. However GL does a fabulous job of leaving that little piece of information out of the pictures and descriptions.

I think what it boils down to and what we are both trying to say is...preview the lot if at all possible!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks