• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What type of rifle to mount on my MUTT?

progun

I want to build a gun mount for my truck and an wondering what rifle to mount to it. I want a 30 cal, not 50. I want to put a replica gun, of course. Thanks

moose53

The M4 pedestal and M142 cradle used on the M151's was set up for the M-60 MG. while you could put a M-2 50 cal on that pedestal, the jeep's sheet metal wasn't strong enough and tended to rip apart from the recoil after a short while... the m1919 was used on much older jeeps.

Jim

poof

Dirty Hippie
hmm.
I used a sat dish from my old Prime star system. was a roof mounted dish... has all the adjustments needed to place in any spot in back of m151... then used a wheel caster welded to tube that slips inside mount.. bought an M60 mount plate and an airsoft M60 for $400 delivered.. i think most of my pictures are still here on sight.. origanly i had an M1919a4 mounted.. then swithced to the M60.. its a better looking unit... and sure saves a TON of money... for just " the look"
J.P.

Last edited:

KaiserM109

I vote for M60 on the MUTT. More appropriate for the Vietnam era than the M1919 Browning.
Ditto. The only units that mounted any other .30 cal were ARVN units, who had a real hodge-podge of equipment and a few Air Force security installations. Anything bigger than a .30 was not authorized, doesn’t mean it wasn’t done though. Heck (substitute your own word here) we even had a 40mm grenade launcher pulled off of a downed Cobra on one of our M151s and a .50 Ma Deuce on an M37 (also not authorized).

“We” was the 15th Combat Engineers, 9th ID.

Arlyn

BLK HMMWV

Rifles are shoulder fired. So I'd say an M16 or a M14. Now if you meant a Dummy belt fed crew served weapon / rifle then the only option of those listed is the standard M60. It also filled the crew served weapon role like the Browning 1919A4 and the Browning M2 .50 BMG but those aren't rifles by definition as they are not shoulder fired.
BH

pad_cdr

Rifles are shoulder fired. So I'd say an M16 or a M14. Now if you meant a Dummy belt fed crew served weapon / rifle then the only option of those listed is the standard M60. It also filled the crew served weapon role like the Browning 1919A4 and the Browning M2 .50 BMG but those aren't rifles by definition as they are not shoulder fired.
BH
If you are looking at the semi-auto version of any of these, then legally they are considered a rifle.

BLK HMMWV

Well I'm not looking for any of them and I don't want this thread to stray to far into a thread that will get closed due to the no gun talk rules so I will just say that a rifle is a shoulder fired weapon by definition. And a replica of a belt fed gun found on a mutt would be a replica of a machine gun. The OP stated he wanted a replica gun not a live gun in either F/A or S/A so those would be non guns.
And he did state he wanted a replica of a rifle not a machine gun and of those listed the M60 is the only one capable of being fired from the shoulder making it the closest thing listed to a rifle by definition.

BLK HMMWV

Depending upon which cradle or mount you plan on using You may have to modify it to fit your mount.
The M142 style cradle uses the small roll pin held in place by two small tabs for the front mounting point and the approx. 1/4" pin extending from both sides of the front of the pistol grip as it's rear mounting point.
The airsoft M60's don't have the two small ears with the roll pin between them that is found on the bottom of the op rod tube. You can look on the bottom side of the M60 in the hand guard you will see a small square area approx. 3/4" if you see a small roll pin supported by two tabs your in luck if not you will have to locate one in that area.
If your planning on just using the goose neck pintle however you won't need the pin. It just fastens around the 1/4" pin located on the front of the pistol grip.

BH

poof

Dirty Hippie
Well I'm not looking for any of them and I don't want this thread to stray to far into a thread that will get closed due to the no gun talk rules so I will just say that a rifle is a shoulder fired weapon by definition. And a replica of a belt fed gun found on a mutt would be a replica of a machine gun. The OP stated he wanted a replica gun not a live gun in either F/A or S/A so those would be non guns.
And he did state he wanted a replica of a rifle not a machine gun and of those listed the M60 is the only one capable of being fired from the shoulder making it the closest thing listed to a rifle by definition.

aua realy, Mr. Knowitall please explain to me the 106MM recoiless rifle?:nothingfunny:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks