• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WHAT WAS i THINKING! New LMTV picking it up in El Paso, TX NEED ADVICE

What is the best way to transport the LMTV 600 miles

• Just DO IT, balls to the wall and no plan

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Don't screw around, pay the IronPlanet carriers

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 24 Ft Goosneck and Ram 3500 is plenty for the job

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I have an opinion but I am keeping it to myself

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hermannator

Man am I glad I found this site. I'm a former Bradley Infantryman and Scout Platoon Leader(ABC News 20/20 Are our soldiers safe 1985) so I have had my 15 secs of fame. I was looking for a generator for my race trailer and what did I come away with a 1998 M1078. Now I would not normally embark on a journey without prior training and a good bit of subject matter expertise but I am as green as it comes relative to an M1078. GREEN NOOB ROOKIE

As an OCS grad with roots deep down into KP in the dining facility and PMCS, I can work through the issues once I get this rig to my South Texas Retreat. It is getting the rig home. Now the arranged and single option carrier has me at gunpoint and I hate being robbed. My shop foreman insist that we can load this bad boy on a gooseneck flat bed and tow it with the RAM 3500. NOW, I have suited up with the Teflon underwear and pulled out a nomex flight suit from my Viper days in preparation for the assault from all of the flame throwers. I am a big boy, can take it. I would welcome any advice ANY ADVICE, that will help me bring this bad boy home without being subjected to armed robber at the hands of the carrier consortium.

Ready on the left, Ready on the right, the range is now longer clear, writers take your best shot but for the love of all things holy and sacred give me some pointers i can use.

Hermannator, standing by :tank:

Lead and Brass Racing.png

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Hmm, Welcome to the site and the craze!. Sounds like you are going to get the truck no matter what. Well just make sure you read some or all of the hints and tips on how to achieve a sucessfull mission. Good luck. Post up the truck, loading, and journey.

Hermannator

The Bagel Factory is on 281 South at Brook Hollow exit and I live on Bulverde Road. I have a welding shop / Pole Barn in jourdanton, which is where I will store the truck. Will look forward to the get together.

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have trailered my m931a2 with a gooseneck trailer rated for the weight and a ford 350 or 450 dually that my brother had access to use. We drove in the middle of the night to avoid traffic and kept it at 35-55ish mph for about a 80 mile trip. No issues save some low trees. I think we were close to 13 foot tall.

I think that trip across west Texas would be insanely long going 35-55, and on the highways that you will have to take, would be scary with traffic going 70-80+ mph past you.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I trailered my deuce from Ft. Hood to El Paso using a gooseneck and an F450. The cruise was mostly at 50-60 mph and the only issue was the fuel cost. Diesel was north of 4 bucks a gallon then.

I am just east of EP and there are a few other members out here, just in case you need something during loadout/pretrip. Welcome to the disease, the site, and eventually, far west Texas. Towbars and MV wreckers are available.

By the way, local member CARNAC has tons of sh-stuff for sale. You may want to see if there is anything you need from him while you are out here, saving on shipping hassles. Towbars come to mind since as most here have found out - MVs are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So when are you coming? Do you have an appointment day for the pickup? I know IP is only on site for a day or two each month. Is it 'drivable'?

You must enter Ft Bliss from the Chaffee Gate if towing a big trailer (even if you have an govt ID card). You will want to take exit 34 for RT 375 to RT 601 to exit 24 loop under the 4 lane and come back around to the gate.

Hermannator

Carnac,

the plan is to recover the vehicle on the 21st of September. I have an experienced NCO that will take a look at the vehicle , fill the fuids and make sure it is ready to hit the road.

I work until the 21st but I plan to learn as much about the vehicle enroute to SA as I can. Thanks for everyones input and help.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks