• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What was your experience with shipping a LMTV

spankybear

I have been looking at a few at the usual places. I know shipping is not cheap and I am not looking for talk about that. What I would like to know is your experience. Like if one LMTV needs a jump start. Is this something the shipping company can do? Will the usual auction places give any help besides point it out (like a jump)? I have some bids out on shipping and there are some that are not gold rated? is there an issue with the no rated ones?

I just want to make sure I don't bite off more than I can chew.

Thanks in advance

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk to the site rep. If it is advertised as "runs with a jump", they will jump it for you and help your driver out. If it's dead as a doornail, the site rep MAY have the ability to push it on a step deck equipped with ramps but if not, you will have to arrange a wrecker to do so. United States of Freight moved my third LMTV flawlessly, the first I hauled myself and the second I flat towed (Mcoen's). Good luck.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk to the shipper, and ensure they know the condition of the truck. Mine didn't run, they still showed up with the wrong trailer type, gp rep got it moving and on the trailer, had issues getting it off the trailer as it still didn't run and brakes were not caged. Was a bit of a hassle, but you got to pay to play. My truck came from brag, to port orchard Washington.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a shipping broker to arrange the transport. It went ok (mine was running), though it was obvious when I talked to the driver that there was little communication between anyone in the chain (i.e. the driver was given little more than an address and general description... "army truck"). That sounds similar to DiverDarrell's assessment above.

Shipping was about $2/mi across several quotes I got.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I prefer to find an owner operator and explain directly exactly what I need moved and the usually non operational condition it/they are in. Plus I can negotiate a good cash price on delivery. I don't move truck cross country though. For that the broker may work better. But he/she is taking a cut. I try to stick with a 600 mile radius to me.

spankybear

I prefer to find an owner operator and explain directly exactly what I need moved and the usually non operational condition it/they are in. Plus I can negotiate a good cash price on delivery. I don't move truck cross country though. For that the broker may work better. But he/she is taking a cut. I try to stick with a 600 mile radius to me.
I can't argue with your thinking. But like you said I think I may be better off with the broker with a longer haul. I am just trying to get my budget down on how much to bid vs total cost and what to kind of experience may expect. I would like to deal with the local base here but prices seem higher than the rest of the country. Having bought and seen stuff in the past from Ft Lewis vs other bases in California I have thought Ft Lewis has had higher prices and worse condition.

FloridaAKM

When I won a LMTV out of Ft Bragg, I used a broker & they found me a top notch trucking company that delivered home a running truck in a few days. I was very happy with the price & how the driver stayed in contact with me through out the entire pick up & delivery. The driver showed up on time & unloaded the truck with zero problems. The next time I called up the company for a duplicate delivery, I wound up with a trailer for the LMTV still sitting on Ft Braggs GP lot after the pickup time had expired. You have to watch the progress & keep in touch till your truck gets home or risk paying storage fees for a truck sitting on a lot, waiting for a trucking company to come pick it up! Luck of the draw for me.

scottmandu

Most of the yards will have equipment to jump an LMTV and don't mind helping however if it's dead, then you will have to have a driver with a winch or use a wrecked with a heavy lift. The wrecker option usually costs a couple hundred. I use a guy that has a hot shot type service and knows how to ship these trucks if you are interested. He has shipped several LMTV's for various units and ships all mine. His rates are very reasonable.

spankybear

I have another question. With one that's not running the shipping bids are coming in saying loading isn't included. Saying "plus heavy wrecker fees" Has anybody else paid for a weaker and if so what's the price range?

Most of the yards will have equipment to jump an LMTV and don't mind helping however if it's dead, then you will have to have a driver with a winch or use a wrecked with a heavy lift. The wrecker option usually costs a couple hundred. I use a guy that has a hot shot type service and knows how to ship these trucks if you are interested. He has shipped several LMTV's for various units and ships all mine. His rates are very reasonable.
IM sent

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks