• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What weight of engine oil

CMSGT

Whats the recommended engine oil for the Cummins NHC 250 in winter months? I live in the lower elevations of Utah so getting down to zero would be a rarity. In my powerstroke per the dealer I use 15W40 in summer and 10W30 in the winter. Any advice is appreciated.

skidder

well i live in nw conn. an it gets down bast O an i don't have a problem. i have ben using AMSOIL 15w 40 sea.3000 for years in all my equipment an swear by it scott

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen:

So what weight engine oil are you running in your NHC 250 Cummins? 30W as the data plate and LO indicate, or as I would be inclined to do, 15W-40 Rotella T? I really hate to run anything different than the data plate and LO indicate, but I always run 15W-40 Rotella in my diesel vehicles and equipment. I am in a relatively moderate climate (Dallas, Texas), so 30W will work.

I don't see a definitive answer on this forum and am getting ready for the first oil and filter change in the NHC 250.

Anyone, anyone...?

Thanks!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cummins has ALWAYS recommended 15W40. Your flavor is up to you.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We use 15/40 in everything here...civilian and military...diesel and gassers, even the little jeepies!
Never had a problem...never lost an engine...summer or winter. Of course we dont get many zero days in southwest GA.:-D