• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would a LMTV completed run? Pic enclosed Also where do you find the hood racks

Reworked LMTV

Better is a relative term. A Cummins will have a significant cost penalty as you have to buy one to replace the Caterpillar engine, and the C7 produces quite a bit more torque than a Cummins engine of similar displacement. The C7 is also a larger displacement engine. Personally I think the best engine for an LMTV would be a turbocharged 10TD1 30 liter Isuzu V10 tuned to 1200hp and 3000 ft/lbs.
Seems a bit underpowered.......... heh heh heh : )

Reworked LMTV

Better is a relative term. A Cummins will have a significant cost penalty as you have to buy one to replace the Caterpillar engine, and the C7 produces quite a bit more torque than a Cummins engine of similar displacement. The C7 is also a larger displacement engine. Personally I think the best engine for an LMTV would be a turbocharged 10TD1 30 liter Isuzu V10 tuned to 1200hp and 3000 ft/lbs.
Personally, I would drop a Detroit 12 liter in. Cheap parts. Tons of parts. Can in frame rebuild. Sits higher, so plasma the floor.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Personally, I would drop a Detroit 12 liter in. Cheap parts. Tons of parts. Can in frame rebuild. Sits higher, so plasma the floor.
And you will need to move everything back about a foot too. Another 310 cubic inches is alot of space.

Little motors like the 3116. 3126 or C7 would be better suited for a replacement along the lines of a DT466 if you wanted the simplicity and cheapness along with reliability. They are a dime a dozen. Buy a school bus for $2200. Pull the engine. Trans, fuel tank and other useable things and scrap it and get a good deal of your money back.

The 466 can make gobs of power for a mild dent in your wallet.

Reworked LMTV

I did call Acela Truck Company and they quoted me 250K for a 6X6. <eyes rolling> IT'S A USED TRUCK! lol
Well, yes it is used, but lets look at like this. This is for a business. THESE ARE NOT MADE FOR THE DIY PERSON. It has been thoroughly gone through and in some cases upgraded. Of course it is marked up. A typical big company would not flinch at the price if it can get their guy to the top of a mountain to fix a cell phone tower. Did I mention that the company needs the truck NOW?

Reworked LMTV

And you will need to move everything back about a foot too. Another 310 cubic inches is alot of space.

Little motors like the 3116. 3126 or C7 would be better suited for a replacement along the lines of a DT466 if you wanted the simplicity and cheapness along with reliability. They are a dime a dozen. Buy a school bus for $2200. Pull the engine. Trans, fuel tank and other useable things and scrap it and get a good deal of your money back.

I looked it up one time. I think there was maybe 4 " more in length?

Reworked LMTV

What kind of power are we talking about?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What kind of power are we talking about?
With free mods. 300hp 850ft lbs. Even more with a 93 to 95 on those year engines. The p pump can be calibrated higher. Speed is money how fast can you afford to go. Remember something has to harness the power. The allison can only take so much

Not true, we have not updated the u tubes in awhile, we do have a toilet, a shower and our bed is on electric linear actuators, we don't give 2 cruds about sat TV, so that will never go in our truck. We have a form of cruise control, not shown in photos of video. But you are correct, we have 6 Battle Born batteries powering our camper, things like hydronic heater, AC, fresh water pump, under sink insta hot water heater, seperate air heater, engine block heater, mood lights, 3 power Dometic awnings, Dometic induction cook stove and so forth.

Seth

Watched their video. No toilet. Or shower. Gotta fold down the bed. No satellite TV. No cruise control that I saw. Just a bunch of batteries

The cab roof rack and side step ladders, light bar etc shown in the photo will cost you right at $7500.00 installed from Stanley Fabrication in Santa Cruz CA, he has a waiting list and is booked 4 months out for fab work,

Seth

What would a LMTV completed run? Hopefully with highway gears
Also where do you find the hood/cab racks
THX

Thank you, Optimus is looking killer also, we are contemplating having a LMTV meet here in Flagstaff AZ as there are places to camp for large groups of people out in the woods, we have hundreds of miles of Brutus trails to pick from planned out, we could leed group runs and such. We will see how this progress's

Seth

Seth Brutus is looking great I am almost done we'll have to get the boys together lol

wandering neurons

OK, LMTV meet in Flagstaff? That'd be a long drive from Colorado Springs, but would be worth it! Keep the group informed on that please!

Thank you, Optimus is looking killer also, we are contemplating having a LMTV meet here in Flagstaff AZ as there are places to camp for large groups of people out in the woods, we have hundreds of miles of Brutus trails to pick from planned out, we could leed group runs and such. We will see how this progress's

Seth

pontiac62

Seth
Time, date, an place. Us easterners welcome lol.

Chances are I won’t be there until get my truck on the road an outta the yard art duty. Slowly getting a few parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

I just called Acela and their trucks start at $100,000 and go up from that depending on what your needs are. We have personal experience with Acela (and made a video about it)

If we had it to do over we would not think twice about buying one as we have way more than $100,000.00 invested in Brutus already and spent way to much time getting all the projects done.

This is just our opinion and is not for everyone and that's certainly ok, the bottom line is we all have very cool trucks no matter the condition or build and we enjoy them :)

Cheers
Seth

I did call Acela Truck Company and they quoted me 250K for a 6X6. <eyes rolling> IT'S A USED TRUCK! lol

Third From Texas

The cab roof rack and side step ladders, light bar etc shown in the photo will cost you right at $7500.00 installed from Stanley Fabrication in Santa Cruz CA, he has a waiting list and is booked 4 months out for fab work,
Seth
I'd certainly fab local, but that does beg to question:

If there is a demand for it, certainly a knock-down kit could be made, sold, and shipped anywhere in the upper 48 for well below half of that (then welded up locally).

After all, it's really just a brush guard and does not necessarily need to be produced in DOM nor even chromolly for the price conscious.

We used to do this all the time with sandrails and rollcages.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks