• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would best increase towing capacity of a 1028A1 in the process of a 6.5T Swap ?

Geardoc

I have a 1028A1 I've mentioned before, the 6.2 is shot to Diesel heaven. It has around 18k miles but some idiot at Redstone contributed to it's demise and I bought off the auction site asa good running pickup. Good running- My behind.

The NP-205 and the TH400 are in exceptionally good shape, despite the engine SNAFU.

I acquired an early- I've been told first year- late 91- supposedly comparable to an S code without a CAT and with a DB2 pump like my beloved 6.2's. It is a crate motor that hasn't been installed, just says Goodwrench Remanufactured on the side.

I have another 6.5T that a local county bought for a 95 or so and the service stickers indicate 10k miles but I am not familiar with the company that reman'd it so it may not be worth a hoot. It also has a different pump.

I have a 1974 International 1600 dump truck with a 345-2v ordered with NP-435 and PTO for the dump. I had considered installing the off brand reman engine in the Loadstar with the DB2 off my dead engine. I just need to tow a Hudson 12ton lowboy, rarely, and tow a Komatsu D20 and a Deere 420C. Once in a blue moon maybe an IH TD6-62 Drott or a Deere 450(first year straight shift).

I know the advice is get a Duramax or a 4B or 6B series, but I am not made out of money and I hate both Duramax and Cummins unless they're in an industrial or marine application with no computers and as few as emissions as possible.

What are some things I can do with my CUCV to tow 10,000-12,000 ? Gear Vendors OD ? I've heard that US Gear-Doug Nash is a unit to stay away from. Any other viable alternatives that I could look at that will work with a NP-205, TH400 in a 1028A1 ?

Worst case scenario is I fix the brakes and 2spd rear end module on the rear on the old IHC S1854 with DT466, 4sp, 2spd rear. I'd need to take the old chicken litter spreader on it off, put on a flat bed and a pindle hitch and get a whopping 6mpg.

Which is why I'd like to be able to tow more with my CUCV while the 6.5T is going.

Maybe I need to just put down the hooka and just get to working on the S1854.

Thank you my fellow vintage military ord reprobates.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think overdrive is the answer. It will make an empty truck faster but you probably won't have the power to tow in OD. If you need towing power on the cheap, sadly, a 454 gasser might be the answer.

Stonepicker1

FYI,

I pulled a 6,630 lb, CUCV-II Crew cab on top of my 5,100 lb gooseneck trailer from PA to south Florida with no problems.
Total weight 11,730 lb.

Pulled it with my 1986 CUCV dually. The engine has been upgraded to a 2003, GEP 6.5L with a Banks Sidewinder Turbo.

I pulled it at 60-63 MPH(GPS). I was getting around 8 to 9 MPG.

I also have a 95 gal transfer tank in the back of the Dually that is mostly full all the time.

Attachments

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1986 chevy 1 ton is rated to tow 10,500 lbs. I see no reason whatsoever why you couldn't tow that much weight with an M1028 in good mechanical condition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks