• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would it take to fix this M813?

colomil

Attachments

jwaller

the light sw is missing. looks like the rad hoses are gone. all 4 of them. I often wonder why an item like this is missing. does it mean the eng is bad and they have started to cannibalize it?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I often wonder why an item like this is missing. does it mean the eng is bad and they have started to cannibalize it?

I ALWAYS think exactly the same thing when I see a vehicle that has begun to be cannibalized.

colomil

Ft carson does weird things like cannibalize very serviceable trucks to fix old beat up trucks. Just look at the m35s out there. The ones that have newer super single setup with new tires & paint are cannibalized but the old school dual trucks with bald NDTs are sold as "driven in". I would love to know what logic the army uses to decide to pull parts off a running 5-ton instead of ordering the parts through the supply system.

Stan

Chris "Steelsolider" has restored several trucks with more of the "main" parts missing than this an the engine itself has been OK. I guess you never know though.

dabtl

I kind of like the orphans at an auction. I got a really nice M35a2 at OKC because of a dented fender and a missing headlight. It took electrical work, a replaced rear cross member and some body work to make it right, however. But, the cost for a M35a2 with a winch for $1200 was worth the extra effort.

After all, I bought it to tinker with.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris "Steelsolider" has restored several trucks with more of the "main" parts missing than this an the engine itself has been OK. I guess you never know though.
:-D It's always a crap shoot, but I have been able to buy some very expensive trucks for a lot less because they looked like crap on the GL site. Every once in a while you get burned though. I bought a NHC-250 that looked completely rebuilt on the outside, but turned out to have a fragged piston on the inside :evil:

Colomil, I removed the link and added the pics for you because I am that nice ;-)

colomil

Thanks Chris for fixing the link/thumbnails. I have resurrected some pretty beat up junk from Ft Carson, but this would be the biggest. The bed of the truck looks like it has recent paint on it. All the tires are still on, it has a winch, (no hardtop though :cry:) so it looks like it (was) a decent truck before the cannibals got ahold of it.

Joe, you are my new best friend! If I do get it I will certainly hit you up.

I am thinking the price will get a little high because it still has the axles and a winch. I can't remember what the last residue 5 ton went for but I can't imagine it going over $1500.

Alredneck

Banned
NEVER bet on OD GREEN machines, the GOVT always wins, worse case you have a good parts truck to sell to folks, fix up, or sell for scrap when the prices go back up.

colomil

Well I just got a quote from Memphis Equipment for a new m813 radiator... $1100 + tax/shipping. Lets say I am a little less excited about the truck now... Still interested but my bid tolerance is much less...

Crash_AF

I didn't see this before I left this morning, but he does have some cab tops, or aftermarket fiberglass ones that he makes. Not sure on the price though.

The radiator is $650 for a good used one

Later,
Joe

colomil

Thanks again for the radiator info. I guess that is less painful than the other quotes. I will try to go out to Ft Carson this week and take a good look at the truck, maybe even try to turn the crank with a prybar.