• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would you do differently?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder why the military chose to go with the exact square size and configuration for the sheet metal roof on these sets (the perforated area over the radiator on 802/803, etc). I always see set that have distortion here both from regular use, but also from abuse.

At the end of the day, the object is to let air and heat out, but keep debris from falling in. Has anyone thought about how that might have been made better? Same with the perforation near the throttle cable. I have seen so many sets distorted here, from operators putting a fork into them.

Guyfang

Staff member
It all comes down to a few things. Cost. Weight. Size.

Cost is important when you are buying 20-30 thousand, (or more) generator sets. Availability and cost of repair parts. Donald Wills Dougles, founder of Dougles aircraft Corperation once told the Sec. Defence, that he would design and produce a high performance fighter aircraft, and provide the first 1000 planes to the government free. BUT, he was to be the sole provider of spare parts. We may think that providing the gen set made someone big bucks. But the real money was in spares. And when a company designs a piece of equipment that has odd, not off the shelf parts, it drives up cost tremendously. So to keep cost down, simple and easy was the by word. The gen set housing is just that. Simple, and easy. Yes, if you have someone gin up a top for you, it will cost a lot. But when you figure 20-30, thousand ( or more) tops, you can drive down costs dramatically.

Size. The government wanted something smaller the the previous generation gen set. It needed to be able to fit in the new trailers and trucks. It needed to fit on the new generator PU and PP, (power unit and power plant) trailers. The new PP and PP trailers are much smaller the the older generation trailers. So to keep the size down, once again, simple and easy.

Weight is is the same song, different verse.

Everyone give this much thought. How could you improve this set, and still keep the Cost, Weight and size at least where it is?

I would have liked to see an aircraft style air cleaner. They used centrifugal force, to spin the incoming air, to sling out impurities. You never need another air filter to change again in your life. Down side, cost and weight. Also, you need to increase the speed of the incoming air. I am not an engineer. But maybe you could increase the incoming air speed by using a blower, and smaller intake aprature, to create a vortex in the filter housing, strong enough to clean the air. But here I go getting expensive and complicated.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hoping to get a few more folks to chime in. No one else has ever thought about it? How about louvers over the radiator? Seems to be it would provide greater overall rigidity, as well as help in keeping rain and debris out (at least directionally). And I mean... who doesn't like louvers?

Louvered_Door_l.jpg

I don't know what the CFM rating is of the fan used on these machines, but I have to imagine any reasonable update to this part would still allow reasonable air flow. Maybe I am just overthinking this...

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
That in itself would cause a airflow issue. Look at what the circ area is of the radiator, now compare that to the top perf area for exhaust air.

The units were built to a spec. Air intake not directly sucking up debris, exhaust going up, and radiator exhaust going up, CARC paint, limit the infrared signature.

It's to bad larger units were not paneled with aluminum. But, then again, the fork lift drivers would just puncture them too.

rustystud

Guyfang;2099138 I would have liked to see an aircraft style air cleaner. They used centrifugal force said:
Actually there are several really good spinning air cleaners on the market. I had one on my deuce for years until I went with the A3 style air filter. Some are metal (stainless steel) and some plastic and some a combination of plastic and metal.
I don't see why they couldn't be adapted to use on generators. See Guy your ideas are not out of line with reality !

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
and it is just an opinion and everybody knows what they are like.

Tactical military gear of every and all types is written off when delivered to the unit to use.
The people there have no time to fiqure stuff out.
They just need what they need when they need it.
Civilians are able to buy all the leftovers that did not get
wasted, and our people need new stuff....
Really good stuff leaks thru to auction sometimes.
Be happy to be beneficiary of that.

He already stated
"Cost. Weight. Size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks