• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What year is it, REALLY?

Ajax MD

So, the M998 we purchased was re-engined and re-VIN'd in 2002 with a new dataplate. This dataplate is much newer than all the other badly faded plates on the truck.
The truck is obviously much older, due to retaining the 3L80 and crappy, low-back seats.

Is there anywhere else on the truck where I might be able to figure out the original year of manufacture? Any hidden serial numbers on frame or body?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the new VIN they gave it? Most of the time when they put on a new data plate, they retain the original VIN. I know mine was rebuilt in 2009 but still had a VIN that put manufacture date in 1999 or 2000. (if you don't want to give us the whole VIN at least do the first 3 digits)

Ajax MD

The "manufacturer's serial #" which is also the VIN on my title is:

NG5XXX200189 (red characters are redacted).
"Date of Delivery" is stated as 2002.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if the first series of numbers are the registration number, and the last numbers are the VIN. In that case, 200189 COULD BE your VIN.

kzeyus

NG5XXX would be registration number - probably also stenciled on panel beside drivers left leg
200189 shows to be a 2002 serial number so I suspect that is not the original vin for your truck if it has original style seats.
Does it have the original style mirror mounts?

Ajax MD

NG5XXX would be registration number - probably also stenciled on panel beside drivers left leg
200189 shows to be a 2002 serial number so I suspect that is not the original vin for your truck if it has original style seats.
Does it have the original style mirror mounts?
Yes, I believe they're original mirrors. Plastic backed rectangles with a wide angle mirror in the bottom 20%.

kzeyus

Yes, I believe they're original mirrors. Plastic backed rectangles with a wide angle mirror in the bottom 20%.
Inkedmorror3_LI.jpg The circled piece is the early mirror mount, they quit putting this mount on later trucks and older trucks were upgraded to the new style mirrors. Not sure exactly what year they dropped the old style mount from factory, but suspect it was probably mid to late 90's. Someone on here will know for sure.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 789215 The circled piece is the early mirror mount, they quit putting this mount on later trucks and older trucks were upgraded to the new style mirrors. Not sure exactly what year they dropped the old style mount from factory, but suspect it was probably mid to late 90's. Someone on here will know for sure.
I think it was 1985, 6, and maybe 7 is all that used those.

papakb

If you want to get the actual build date of your vehicle take the number stamped on the A pillar in front of the drivers windshield and give it to a friend in law enforcement. They should be able to run that number and reference the AMG files for the build date.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you find a VIN somewhere on the frame? A VIN mentioned on an attached data shield does not have to be the real original VIN at all.

Ajax MD

I think it was 1985, 6, and maybe 7 is all that used those.
Ah, now that's interesting. I wonder if there's any truth to it? I'd be satisfied knowing even a range of possible years.

If you want to get the actual build date of your vehicle take the number stamped on the A pillar in front of the drivers windshield and give it to a friend in law enforcement. They should be able to run that number and reference the AMG files for the build date.
Now this is handy. I have a cousin-in-law who is LEO. I'll see if I can find that number and if he can help. Thanks.

04mustang

if you look at the rear frame rail the month and year of manufacture will be stamped on it. on the very tip. but if you've got an airlift bumper then its covered up.

Ajax MD

if you look at the rear frame rail the month and year of manufacture will be stamped on it. on the very tip. but if you've got an airlift bumper then its covered up.
No airlift bumper, just the stubs with the shackles. I'll take a look this afternoon.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s not uncommon at all that trucks were given new serial numbers after reset, or even the wrong dataplate
at time of assembly. Plenty of so called 2004 M998’s were listed for sale on GP...problem is, they didn’t make a 3 speed
M998 in 2004, it was the reset date. This same thing is going on with the a lot of the m1123’s.
if you have a 6.2/6.5 with 3 speed, your model year will be 85-94, but if you have the old style mirror mounts, then I would say 85-92, I say this because they did away completely with installing that bracket, just not sure what year.

Ajax MD

Ok, 85-92. That narrows it down a lot better than my own guesses. I'll see if I can find the number on the end of the frame.

Ajax MD

I'll try to get the number off the end of the frame today to close out this conversation.

Assuming the truck kept the original transmission and transfer case, what model transfer case do I have?
It has the round knob and does not have the lighted indicator.

The truck was also originally equipped with the fording kit but it looks like they deleted it when the Army re-engined the truck.
The intake stack and exhaust are the easy parts. What parts am I missing that connects to the "FORD/VENT" switch in the cab?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That number is not related to the VIN. It is an internal number at the manufacturing plant.

papakb

He's not looking for VIN information, he's asking about the year of manufacture which the A pillar number will give you.

Hey Steve, doesn't tracking the date of production tell you what year your truck is? Yes AMG won't give you diddley on the number but any LEO can.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks