• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what's a decent m1008 worth?

rawhide

I see these for sale occasionally, but the prices seem high. I know of a 1986 m1008 they want $4250 for, and I found an '84 m1009 for $5900. Is this realistic? I'm not interested in the m1009, but the prices are much more than I thought they would be. Is it just that these are drying up?

cucv1833

I see these for sale occasionally, but the prices seem high. I know of a 1986 m1008 they want $4250 for, and I found an '84 m1009 for $5900. Is this realistic? I'm not interested in the m1009, but the prices are much more than I thought they would be. Is it just that these are drying up?

Theres a thread on this subject every week. But Ive been seeing them go for $500 to $10K. Its all about condition and what you want to pay for it. $3K - $6K seems about normal for a private sale in good condition

axlr8

theres a 86 m1009 in rochester for 3600, looks dangg fine to me! i wouldnt pay more then 2500 for a GL truck or one that needs work. 5500 for a good runner, with new tires, low miles, and nice paint. But i guess it depends on how thick your wallet is!

rawhide

If that's really what these are going for, I'll go ahead and get a multifuel M35a2 for about the same money. Even if it needs work, I will end up with much more truck. A cheaper m1008 would take some cash to make right anyway.

GPrez

The government stockpile is depleting and as it does the prices will likely rise even higher. They have a lot of heavy duty parts on them that appeal to people, and are usually low mileage. There is a real nice looking M1009 listed on a website right now for a BIN of $8K. Bidding is up to $6,100, but it looks showroom new. I see the GL ones go for over $4K very often which is insane to me, but to others it's a good deal. They are worth what someone is willing to pay.

A drivable M1008 in good condition would fetch $4K to $5K easy in a private sale.

cocco78

Just from watching GL in Sparta a 08 that was towed onto the lot will fetch $900-$1200. Running 08's pretty much start at $3000 and go to around $5k for a contract truck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There are a bunch in the classifides right now, the price is anywhere from 3000 to 10000.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were a bunch at Camp Ripley before I got my M1009 out of McCoy that went for 2-3K. There was about 5 of them I should've went higher on.

stationjj

I just got a M1009 in Tennessee for $3800.
It runs great. 67000 miles.
New paint job
Rebuilt IP
New Tires
Added electric fuel pump.
Rust has been minor.

Biggest expense so far for me are the weather seals. Not complaining the CUCV is 28 years old.
This site has been invaluable!!! I did tons of research on this site before I bought my CUCV.

I got lucky. mine was a private purchase. He is on this site. He knows who he is.

stationjj

stationjj

I just got a M1009 in Tennessee for $3800.
It runs great. 67000 miles.
New paint job
Rebuilt IP
New Tires
Added electric fuel pump.
Rust has been minor.

Biggest expense so far for me are the weather seals. Not complaining the CUCV is 28 years old.
This site has been invaluable!!! I did tons of research on this site before I bought my CUCV.

I got lucky. mine was a private purchase. He is on this site. He knows who he is.

stationjj

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rawhide,
Before you plunk down the money on any LARGE truck, realize that parts (almost ALL of them) cost two to three times any part on a CUCV. And you WILL need Soldier B a lot more with any large truck when doing almost any kind of work.

As long as that's ok by you, go for it.

I started with a deuce. Great trucks. But for my purposes, I ended up with an M1028A2 dually and an M1009. I paid $6300 for the M1028A2 with 13k mi and $3000 for the M1009 with 13k mi. Both from GL.

Rarely can you just jog on down to OReilly or Napa and pick up parts for any of the large trucks. Not saying SOME of the large truck parts are not at those stores, just not many. CUCV's parts are at those stores, mainly for their civi counterparts for sure, but they are available.

just something to think about - big trucks are kewl and way fun to run - but drop $200+ for diesel for a day's worth of fun (one fill up on a deuce) and the M1008 getting 12 -15 mpg looks pretty good - the M1009 getting 18 - 20 mpg looks even better.

but hey, I'm ... uh... thrifty... er ... a scrounger... OH CRABAPPLES, I'm a cheap sob sometimes... OK?? Being retired with no large income I make do...

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My personal opinion - you can get a civvy Chevy pickup from the same era with a diesel engine for half of what the CUCVs are going for. Buy one of them, camo it up and noone will be the wiser. You'll save a thousand or so, and it will be easier to modify with 12 VDC civvy parts and accessories when it comes time to.

rawhide

I already went the civvy truck route. The F350 and 7.3L powerstroke works great, and is a lot newer. I was thinking about picking up another diesel pickup and the m1008 is heavy-duty enough to work hard. I realize they are cool artifacts, but not worth their money for what I need. It wouldn't be something I would buy as a collector piece, in other words (no knock on those that like them!)